x

"THE GREAT HALL"

The Great Hall was filled with joyous scents, many of which were the scent of the food made from Hogwarts' kitchens

The Great Hall was filled with joyous scents, many of which were the scent of the food made from Hogwarts' kitchens. One scent was excitement since the Yule Ball was soon to occur. Alana sat on the edge of Hufflepuff's table, far away from where others were. As she sat down in the seat, a plate appeared infront of her, and she began to pick out her desired treats. "Hello, Wallace," a voice spoke, as Alana looked up, she realized who it was: Draco Malfoy. He wore a disgusted face, and surprisingly there were no minions at his sides.

"Good morning, Malfoy," Alana nodded calmly. She picked out some assorted foods that laid in front of her, "I cannot help but wonder as to what brings you to this edge of Hufflepuff's tables. The first years sit in the middle."

"Well, I know that," Draco Malfoy replied to her in a tone that rung constantly throughout the air. "I'm sure that you know of the Ball. My father has instructed me to choose a Pureblood girl to take to the Yule Ball."

"And?" Alana muttered waiting the the last bit of Draco Malfoy's constructed speech to finish. She stared behind Draco, where Pansy Parkinson was staring viciously at her, "Is that it?"

"I'm sure that you also know my current state, you know ... Pansy," Draco scoffed in annoyance, as though Pansy was breathing down his neck. "So, in conclusion, I've chosen you instead. If you don't agree to my terms, I'll tell my father."

"And what will your father do?" Alana tilted her head emotionlessly to acknowledge the fact that Draco Malfoy's father couldn't do anything for these circumstances.

"Well, he'll do something that might lessen your odds of achieving a job," Draco smirked, and looked back towards the Slytherin table where his minions yelled vigorously at each other, when he did, he caught the attention of Pansy Parkinson, who stood and began to walk over to the two. Draco noticed this as well as Alana did, so he laughed and smirked even more. Malfoy then stalked off broodingly towards the middle of Hufflepuff's tables, where the first years sat. Alana Wallace's valid blood status was unknown to practically everyone who did not question it; as she was presumed to have been a Pureblood, -- as that is what she was told to believe. But only those of particularity whom were chosen to hold such secrets knew that Alana Wallace was in fact not a Pureblood, but a Half-blooded witch in truth. Alana silently ate her breakfast, she desired to not converse with her Gryffindor friend at the moment, or not even anyone in particular. She desired to continue her schooling at Hogwarts, and hopefully graduate to achieve manageable goals.

Pansy Parkinson became curious as to why her Draco would pause to stare at this Hufflepuff girl. As she walked to the table and crossed her arms across her chest, she scoffed, "What a nice day it is, Wallace. Don't you think?"

Alana nodded, and continued to consume her English breakfast as the Slytherin girl shot glares," It has been, although it just became worse approximately ten seconds ago."

"And why is that, Wallace? Do you disfavor my Malfoy?" Pansy frowned displeased with the words that came out of Alana Wallace's mouth. "I'll have you know that he and I are going to the Yule Ball together."

"Congratulations on that, Parkinson," Alana spoke to Pansy, she was halfway done with her English breakfast, and due to Pansy's speech, Alana had begun to lose her appetite. "try not to step on his feet when you're dancing with him, although you might find it hard not to." Pansy's eyes bulged out of her eye sockets, and stormed off back toward the Slytherin tables. She stared back at Alana, but Alana did not acknowledge the fact that she had left or that Pansy had began to send deathly stares. Alana sat alone on the uncrowded table and finished her breakfast, trying to not catch another conversation on such an early time of the day.

Yet, to a particular boy's surprise, as he walked towards the Hufflepuff table, his friend was not there as he had previously seen moments before. But he did not notice this, and began his practiced speech, "Alana, I was wondering about something. Definitely not about Arithmancy, but of something else." He looked up nervously, as he had been fiddling with his hands. And Neville finally knew she was not there listening.