lxiv

"A HOLIDAY, PART TWO"

The dishes that had been in the kitchen just a while ago were now on individual platters

The dishes that had been in the kitchen just a while ago were now on individual platters. And amongst those dishes, there were plates of foods that must have been made another day:

There was pumpkin juice in a large glass jug, which could be smelled from any seat at the table. Additionally, there were multiple pasties wrapped up in a small cloth napkin. The filling inside of the pasties were unknown, but it could only be assumed that they would be appropriate for a such time as breakfast. There was some tea set in the middle, ready to be served.

The girl hugged her clothes closer to her body as the air from the slightly open windows slightly irritated her skin. She looked over the table, there were eight chairs at the table but there were only five plates set and covered. Alana picked a seat and waited patiently for the rest of the Longbottom family to arrive.

She looked out at the scenery that surrounded the mansion, but they were only tall barren trees, with a fresh layer of snow on top of the ground and on some outer branches.

Her mind shifted from the nature to the moment that had just happened a second ago. Neville had finally let his voice come out, and they had shared a kiss. This holiday break was something that she appreciated, something that might have been deserved. Especially after the many cold, desolate years spent at the Wallace mansion, with no conversation or emotions except to the house elves of their household, who would serve food or drink.

The days at the Hogwarts school were something of a miracle, for some short time — that is until she was cursed with a disease. But now, again, she has something to look forward to yet again:

Her future, and possibly a such future that she would share with the boy whose name is Neville Longbottom.

Suddenly, there was a clatter in the room next door, and Alana turned her focus to it. There were some footsteps, and through the doorway of the dining room was Augusta Longbottom who promptly made her way to a seat. Alana nodded, "Good morning."

Augusta only nodded in response.

Alana only assumed that she was not a morning person, "Happy holiday, Augusta. Thank you allowing my stay here at your home. It is very much appreciated." Just as she was saying this, two persons moved into the room: Enid and Algie.

"Oh, how wonderful to see you all. I've prepared a breakfast. Perfectly standard for the holidays," Enid hollered. Algie scooted back a chair for her to sit into, and just as she did, he scooted the chair back towards the table. Then sat in his own chair next to her.

She looked for the chair that was left at the table. And, it is next to her own.

And finally, the last person to arrive walked into the room and sat down in the final chair. Augusta looked up, "How courteous of you to join us, Neville." She shot a gaze, jokingly.

Neville chuckled, a smile remaining on his face.

Enid smiled, too, "Now ... let's eat." And so they did. It was a fairly splendid breakfast, and Alana grew fondly of the pumpkin juice that had been set upon the table. This is something that is a very small detail, but something that Alana recognized. In this family, anyone may do a generous act without judgement or question.

They had finished their breakfast in the dining room and Neville had gone to the living room, where a great tree in a  corner was garnished with decor, lit by green and red orbs that spiraled around the tree's branches.

He sat on the floor, beside the foot of the tree, with something cradled within his hand. His hands fidgeted with the object, perhaps nerves, but only he would know. There was a knock at the door, Neville turned his head: Alana was there, standing in the middle of the hallway.

"I hope that I am not bothering you," she uttered, walking to his side. She sat down beside him, looking up at the tree that stood so gracefully, even while in the corner of the room. "Did Enid arrange this?"

"Of course," he said.

They continued to admire the tree, and its decor. Alana spoke, "I ... I usually never experience such things as this."

Neville turned his focus back to the tree. He questioned jokingly, "A decorated tree on Christmas?"

"No, I mean ...," she spoke, flustered. Her cheeks turned pink, embarrassed from her choice of words. Alana cleared her throat, and continued speaking, "All of this. The breakfast, the tree, the happiness. These types of things are something that simply does not happen at my house."

Alana stared at her hands, and then looked back up to meet Neville's eyes, "And I am glad that I now have experienced this. These few past days with you have been wonderful, Neville."

Their hands met together, and Alana snuggled up to the side of Neville, and rested her head on his shoulder. Neville kissed her head, and spoke as he presented the object that he had been holding earlier, "I'm glad you feeling that way, Alana. I have a present for you."

Alana looked down at what was in his hands: it was a black rectangle box with a golden ribbon tied around it. Neville motioned towards it, as if telling her to take it. And so she did. As she held the box in her hand, she undid the knot with the other hand. She let the ribbon sit on her leg and returned her attention to the box.

She lifted up the top half of the box, and the present that Neville had given to Alana was revealed:

A snake chain made of white gold with a pendant of a daisy.

"Oh, it's wonderful," Alana picked up the necklace.

"Let me put it on for you," Neville said, he undid the clasp of the necklace and then closed the clasp as he positioned it around her neck. He let the necklace drop, and let Alana admire it on her neck. "Flip the flower around."

Alana rolled her eyes jokingly and flipped the daisy, so that she could see the back of it: 'To prosper, to live, to you.'

"A daisy, because it is something that can exist beautifully even within the worst of conditions, and under the right conditions with love and care, it can prosper," Neville smiled and caressed her face. "And I know you're not exactly a daisy, but I just want to know that I appreciate you."

Alana's face felt hot and tears began to gather in her eyes, and she quickly wiped them away before they fell. Neville held her more closely and muttered lowly, "I didn't mean to make you cry, Alana."

"I know that," she said, as she planted a kiss on his cheek. "I ... I just think I am utterly in love with you."