Chapter 11

Dan was alone. The room had been abandoned by visitors and doctors alike. No one seemed to argue with him when he stayed by Phil's side past visiting times. Louise probably dealt with that before she left. Lucky for Dan, he had never really been alone. Well, maybe that happens to be more unlucky actually.

"Don't cry."
"I am not crying!"
"Why are you crying?"
"Well why do people cry!"
"Oh dear, he hasn't has he?"
Silence
"I'm crying?"
"Yes my dear, you are crying."

Slowly but far from peacefully, Phil awoke from his uncomfortable slumber. Somewhere far away there was a voice that didn't seem to be addressing him personally so he just ignored it. He tried to roll over onto his side but was held back by something digging into his skin. That's when he decided to look around properly. "Hey, hey Phil, careful." Dan muttered, still feeling awkward talking to someone. A soft hand was placed on Phil's shoulder to push him slowly onto his back. "Hi." Dan smiled.
"Hi." Phil frowned, "are you okay?" Kindly, Dan took Phil's hand.
"I'm good. Do you remember what happened?" Looking rather sheepish, Phil nodded without offering any elaborations whatsoever. For a while they sat in silence. "Phil, talk to me or I might as well tell a nurse you've woken up."
Seemingly put off by their solitude being interrupted, Phil spoke up. "Okay. Dan I'm sorry." With his voice weak anyway, he sounded much more broken when he chocked out an apology. Silently, Dan encouraged Phil to go on. "I didn't mean for this to happen I swear. Things were never supposed to get this bad. I guess, I guess I just haven't eaten in a while and fainted. Please believe me, this was an accident."
Smiling fondly, Dan replied. "I believe you." How could he not? Phil looked softly at him but underneath it was easy to tell that he just wanted to go home. The doctors had already told Dan that Phil would be allowed to go home. He had been given more therapy sessions a week but as it seemed like a genuine mistake, he wouldn't have to be kept as an in patient.

"Dan you were talking to someone." Who was it?
"What do you mean?" Please don't ask.
"Before you spoke to me." I'm just worried.
"Phil I'm fine, it's yourself you should be worrying about." Dan had a habit of lying to himself. One day he'd learn. Until then, Phil had a job to stop Dan self destructing. But how could he do that when he had already fallen off the rails? Well, he just simply couldn't.

Some time later, much later, they were both free. Together they left the hospital and went home uneventfully. It may seem rather mundane and in truth, it is. Compared to their hectic story book lives, leaving a hospital was very straight forward. Lots of people leave hospitals (granted not all of them leave alive but someone has to be there to sign the papers) besides, they had nothing to worry about. Why do people check out of hospitals? Because they are better so they can continue with their petty lives. However. However for every scrape a hospital patches up, there will already be one too deep to fix. There will always be those checking out to go home to their own bed. It sounds pleasant, right? Not when you look deeper through the cut. Their own bed where they will spend their final few days in agony, buried under a duvet with a horrible cover their mother bought them last Christmas until someone comes to burry them under dirt instead. Not so pleasant after all. But the boys had to pick a side.

So what would it be? To live? Or to die?
You shall just have to wait and see.