Chapter Six

Connor tapped his nails against his arm in thought, his back pressed against Evan's. It was 12:30 AM and Evan was out like a light the second the minute hand hit the first of the hour. Connor on the other hand couldnt sleep, staring at the dark wall of his room.

His breath stopped in his chest as he felt Evan move, glancing back at him. The smaller boy let out a noise and adjusted, rolling over and pressing his face into the back of Connor's neck. His face flushed lightly in embarrasment and he slowly adjusted to face him. He closed his eyes in a futile attempt to sleep.

All he felt was Evan's warm breath on his neck, and he was suddenly acutely aware of what was going on.

Evan, a kid who he had only formally known for around three days, was asleep in his bed, pressed flush against him in a desperate attempt to gain warmth in his cold room. His hair was a little ruffled from the gentle wiggles he made in his sleep and his face seemed soft and relaxed. His eyes moved under his eyelids, signalling REM sleep.

Connor's breathing slowed gently as he looked at the boy, mentally comparing him to an angel. These past two days had been the first time, since he was a little kid, that he hadn't felt alone. He felt like he truly had someone to care for him and that's all that mattered in the world.

Connor fell asleep with a smile on his face.

◇♤◇♤◇

The next day, Connor and Evan rushed to school after an awkward awakening of the two being entangled in each other's arms. They had skipped the breakfast at home and booked it to school, their faces red.

They walked to their lockers, getting ready for the day. Evan was the first one to speak up.

"S-So, uh, after the test, d-do you wanna h-hang out again? Y-Y-You don't havetoIknowhowannoyingI-" His little tangent was cut short by Connor laughing softly, smiling at him.

"Of course, Evan."

Connor had a friend, and that's all that mattered in the world.