o n e

The same routine, everyday.I make my way to work tiredly, watching everyone I pass by. From the housing units, it takes me thirty minutes of walking to get to the nursery. I watch men walking towards the factory, preparing themselves for another day of making whatever it is they make while I watch a few women carrying food supplies make their way towards the kitchens. 

We have roles. Gender roles, to be precise. The men do the hard work, the women do what men think women should do. It's what everyone has always known. 

I see the huge doors in front of me, I've made it to the nursery. I greet my nursing partner, Bailee, with a small smile and walk towards my quarter. I walk through three rows of cribs, all the kids seem to be fine, then take a seat. I watch Bailee happily carry a baby and smile. She's a natural mom, I think. I have known her for three years, she's always still so happy to hold the kids. As for me, I mourn for these girls' potentials. They have no choice, their future has been decided for them. We take care of the baby girls. Men take care of the male babies and groom them to be guards or workers.  

There are guards everywhere, we are limited to minimal and only necessary interaction. Otherwise might be perceived as attempt to revolt and no one wants to be killed during the weekly execution. 

I wait for lunch hour, then resume work, wait for dinner and go home when the Beta announces the day is over. 

"The day is over."

At that, I leave my post to my nightshift counterpart. She's 102632. She's new and young. I'm starving, I walk 15 minutes to the kitchens. 

I look at my plate. One whole steamed potato. Cubed meat. Three baby carrots. 

Pathetic. There must be more ways to make food than this? 

At the beds, I try to get some sleep for another day in the life tomorrow. I watch the beds beside me and wonder if they ever think the same things I do throughout the day. Our lives are sad, I don't know what else there might be but there has to be more than this, something better, anything livelier. 

|Apologies for the sad start. Things will get better, you and Ascher are hoping on things to get better! And sexier! Kidding, that's just you. Hang on there.