CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

I momentarily scanned behind her waiting for something or someone to show up.

"Excuse me?" She scoffed as I realized there's nothing and brought my attention back to her.

"Do you make a habit of showing up where you're not wanted?" I rephrased what I meant by 'you gotta be kidding me'

"Do you make a habit of acting like some self-proclaimed hero?" She shot back clearly referring to two - make that three incidences that I always find myself, whats that term....'saving her' even from something as dumb as slipping on her ass. I should have let her fall

"I wouldn't have to if you didn't keep acting like a damsel in distress" I said raising my voice clearly not letting her have the last word. She huffed and walked past me mumbling something like 'annoying ego-centric son of a -' under her breath. I hate that fucking smart-ass mouth.

"Party's back there" I said pointing back to where she came from even though she couldn't see me.

"I know" she said bluntly without looking back.

"Then where are you going?" I demanded taking long strides to catch up to her. The music blared around us louder now filling the quietude.

"Why do you care?" She asked stopping in her tracks and turned around to face me.

"I don't" I stopped in my tracks too surprised by the question. She began walking away from me again but I grab her wrist. "You can act like a snobbish b-" I bite my tongue to keep in the word "Back there. I don't think you're dumb enough to wonder off alone".

She looked thoughtful for a minute before pulling her hand away, dropping it to her side. "Its Kayden's cat" She said and I raised my brow at her. "I lost his cat" She drawled when she noticed my confused expression.

"You lost the damn cat?" My voice came out harsher than intended. Kayden is going to loose it. Why did she even have that cat in the first place, he never lets it out of his sight.

"I know I'm screwed okay, don't give me that look" she said raising her hands in front of her exaggeratively.

"So Jake and Nikki are with you...here" I meant it as a statement but it came of as a question.

"No" She sighed "I was with this guy and -"

"You lost the cat while flirting! fucking great" I cut her off my voice falling in between sarcastic and accusing.

"Don't yell at me and I wasn't flirting, why am I even explaining myself to you?" she said defensively raising her voice a notch "I'm going to look for the cat".

I silently followed behind her as she trudged on in a straight trail not daring to stray too far away from the trees that had lanterns. Her mind was clearly made up she'd search for the cat with or without me, why am I doing this again? She's neither my problem nor responsibility. I let out a low groan digging my hands inside the front pockets of my jeans.

We spent an hour looking around but had no damn luck, it turned out to be a complete waste of time and I was beginning to question why I didn't just let her do this alone.

"Here kitty..kitty..kitty" she called out her voice pitched to a loud soprano that sounded absolutely pathetic. "Can't I just bargain with him and get another cat?" She beamed her eyes sparkling under the dim lighting.

"No" I answered tersely. I expected her to push further asking all the wrong questions but she didn't, instead she kept her eyes trained straight ahead.

A lot of fucked up things happened in the past year,  especially for Kay. Things changed way too fast and that cat was and still is a sentimental reminder, he shut off from everyone that's until he met Elsie. She gets on my nerves more than anyone but I know for a fact he'd be lost to himself without her, she gave him back a bit of what he'd lost.