Ride

A man who has sat besides me my whole life, has damaged more than what can be repaired by twenty lovers.

A man who merely knows me but understands when a line has been crossed.

A man who's sole purpose is to tear me down every opportunity given, to humiliate me and then drag my name all over the place.

The man who is infuriated if my eyes shine a bright color or if my smile is too wide.

That man has made my life a living hell.

From morning to noon I pray that today will be better. And for that man to have found a joy that will replenish his heart.

I pray for that man.

I pray so his insults wont hurt as much as they did many yesterdays.

A man who rides the bus for 30 minutes has found new and innovating ways to torture my soul.

I have no doubt that he is working for the devil and that this earth we walk on is hell.

A man who can do harm like he has done to me, has not walked barefoot on the concrete.

He has not yet to taste the deprivation of laughter as he jokes around the concepts of my life.

He has yet to cede control over my own.

May I muster a blithe attitude and he will knock it down, floor by floor as the dominoes of the world trade center did ages ago.

And that man, I pray for, will never fear the wrath of my hateful eyes nor the spite of my soul, because I am not the child of the Devil.

I will never give him a taste of the insults he has given me.

He will see the oceans of my eyes and remember them an eternity, for one day it is the last he will see of me because I am not the child of the Devil.

-L.B.

Nov. 16, 2017