Revenge

After getting up from the bed that had an empty side beside her, she prepared her own breakfast and sat down alone where she stared at nothing but the withered flower placed inside the vase.

She tapped the glass of water lightly, making a droplet of water land on her skin. But she didn't stir and continued to ponder. The days before, the days that reminded her that whatever strength she built for years will be put to good use when she finds out who killed her father.

There will come a time when she'll avenge her mother too. But she wouldn't know. And it's not like she'll ever know. Her lover betrayed her and what's worse, done what he had done for just a pair of boots.

She had lost almost everything.

She was already afraid after that incident.

After knowing, that the one whom she loved killed her father, she swore to show no mercy when she confronts him again. But she wouldn't know if he's in hiding. He could possibly be in France right now with his uncle.

And she wouldn't dare to underestimate Levi.

Cunning, she says.

Deceitful,

Rude,

Secretive,

Strong.

Those words are meant to describe her now former lover. The problem is, there was a tiny piece of her that still loves him, and forced herself to believe that whatever he did was false.

But from the look on his eyes...

It held everything.

It's like his eyes told her what he did, showed her what he did that day. But she will never know. He is gone now. She will do anything to get her revenge. She would hurt anyone who'd dare to harm the people she loves and cares.

Even if it means hurting a dear friend...

Or even...

A lover.

The glass that she lifted from the table while thinking left itself frozen upon her hand. The water trickling down from her mouth, to her duster, then to the wooden floor. She was off-duty today as she wasn't feeling herself.

After all, she felt a whole piece of herself ruined.

She then went to the field, ignoring the spilt water on the floor. The sun was still rising in the town. People in the streets are probably setting up their stalls - merchants.

Petra just sat by the porch, clutching her shawl tight due to the unbelievable temperature of the windy day. Since then there haven't been crows on the field. And if there were, she would be lazy to make a scarecrow, so she'd buy vegetables from the market.

Levi would be there to help her.

Then she got the old feeling again. She would do things on her own. Her fear of thunders and rain were still there, but she would just think of something else in any case.

Petra heaved a devastated sigh as she stood up from the porch, sitting down on the soil by her father's grave and her mother's tree. The flowers grew centimeters tall from the previous rain. She plucked one near her and smelt it.

Then she hid it under her shawl for a moment before closing her eyes in thought. She let herself sink in while tears drop from her face once again.

+•+

Kenny just dropped in the inn after a nightly drink in the pub. He found Levi sitting on the table with a cup of tea in hand. The old but well-built man sat beside him, nudging him playfully.

"You should've come with me in the pub. I would've had you help yourself,"

"Pub's aren't my thing. I'm only there for tea." Levi replied. "Tea? You're lame, you know that? Why don't you go back to your old ways? Do whatever I taught you? Steal some money." Kenny urged.

Levi froze, putting the teacup down on the table. His face darkened from the thought. "I don't feel like it."

Kenny frowned and rested his cheek on his hand. "Aye. You're not yourself these days, I've noticed. What's wrong, anyways?" He inquired. "Just tell me, I'm the only one you've got. That Ral woman you loved probably have been a waste."

Levi's head shot up, then he stared at Kenny with a furious look. "She's not a waste, old man." Astonished by his response, he smirked. "Then what is she to you? Why did you leave her?"

Levi regained his composure then slumped his back. For awhile, he thought of an answer.

Petra meant a lot to him. She isn't someone of convenience. He didn't love her because she needed it. He loved her, because he felt it. He felt warm around her, the warmth of family. Something he hadn't had a long time.

He isn't one to have sex with other women just to please himself from his demons. In fact, he had too much dignity. His image is far too ruined just like his personality and background. Levi was simple when it comes to love.

He can reject.

He can break.

And he can love.

Those three factors were part of the process. His mind came to nothing after Kenny's question, from which his uncle patiently waited for an answer. But Levi dismissed his thoughts and sipped the remaining tea before putting it down, empty, leaving.

Kenny shifted in his seat then looked at the empty cup that was once filled with tea.

+•+

A new day rose again, Petra woke up.

She glared at the sun and proceeded to the kitchen. Her eyes drifted to the knife stored in the knife-holder on the counter. The image of it plunging through her father's killer was very much expected, but the image of her former lover couldn't fit in so well.

The question is, will she hold back?

She lifted the knife from the holder. Then she twisted it before gripping the handle ever so tightly. Then she stared at her eyes, what was once amber, warm and lively, became amber, cold and broken.

Is she ready to get her revenge?