Turning Away

The thunder boomed and Petra couldn't help but jolt in surprise and tremble in fear. But she's got no reason to cower in fear with her lover beside her.

"Levi?" She spoke, only to make him back away. "Levi...?" He looked at his left hand and felt a flashback coming. His left hand held the gun he used to shoot Mr. Ral on the head. He wore the boots he stole years ago.

A lot of images appeared in his head. And he gasped, his breathing becoming uneven. "Levi! Are you alright? You look unwell..." She held his hand and at the same time, tried not to fear the rain.

"No..." He mumbled. "What's going on?" She questioned. "No..." He mumbled again. Another roar from the thunder. She flinched, clutching her hand.

"Petra..." He said and removed the boots he wore. "Yes my love?" She responded nervously. Her other hand was on his cheek as she went nearer to his face. "I love you." He said and she smiled.

"I know that," She answered and moved closer to his face, their lips centimeters away from each other. But before they could share a kiss, he moved away from her. "I believe your father told you-"

He picks up the boots.

"That these- These boots will be worn by someone you love. Am I right?" She frowned but nodded. The memory then crossed through her mind as she smiled at the thought. "How do you know that?" She questioned.

Then his whole face darkened.

"Petra...I'm sorry."

"Sorry? For what...?"

"I killed him."

She froze on her tracks.

"You are joking." She then looked at the boots her father made. "I'm not." He answered grimly. "How did you get these boots?" She asks. "I stole them. And...because of that, your father was killed by me."

She stood up.

"Levi, you're lying." She shook her head, her back facing him. "I am not." Her head began to shake rapidly. "You're lying!" Petra exclaimed. "Petra! I'm not!" Then she began to cry. Tears rolling down her face.

Her fists were clenched and she didn't hesitate to punch her lover on the cheek.

"YOU...WHY?!"

He didn't answer and let her take out her frustrations on him. "MY FATHER WAS A GOOD MAN! AND YOU...YOU KILLED HIM!" She cried her eyes out and slapped him. "WHY DID YOU KEEP THIS FROM ME?! WHY?!"

...

"I HAVE SHOWN YOU MORE KINDNESS THAN ANY OTHER MAN OR WOMAN WOULD RECEIVE! AND...THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME?!"

"I'm sorry..." He whispered brokenly, then he walked away with no footwear. "Goodbye, love." He made his final greeting and jumped out of the window, landing perfectly on his feet.

Petra shook and fell down. Her now wet eyes stared at the boots, and she made the loudest scream. It was covered by the noise made by the rain. "I LOVED YOU LEVI...THESE LEAD ME TO YOU...BUT...OH...DEAR LORD WAS I MISTAKEN!" She screamed.

Expecting him to hear, she waited then finally wept. Until then, the rain no longer scared her.

+•+

As her days grew darker, so was his. He ventured out on the streets absentmindedly. He had no place to go, or stay. He left it there. Now he felt like the most idiotic person in the world. His eyes held so much emotion, yet it was empty.

Kenny seemed to have found him from a dark alley. He took his nephew and gave him his new set of clothes. The two entered an inn and he sat by the foot of the bed, staring into the blank space.

"So, you told her what I said?"

He shook his head.

"I told her, what I did." He said then left to change. Kenny was left confused and he smoked inside. He was willing to hear what happened. Yet his nephew was blank. Levi never went out and spaced out every day from his stay in the inn.

His mind drifted to the woman he loved, whom he lost from the cruel truth. He never should've fallen for her. He knew that these things would happen, yet he didn't fear them because she herself gave him hope.

And here he is, regretting everything that has happened. Levi had his 8th round for the day. This was pathetic, he thought. He wasn't like this, he thought. And he had never drank so much unless he really felt like it.

But, due to his grief and frustration, he couldn't contain himself any longer.

Kenny wouldn't mind that his nephew drank more than once for today, after all, the years he spent with him before his untimely departure to Austria for his own satisfaction consisted of him forcing Levi to help himself with all that they've got.

And that includes alcohol.

Once he finished his 8th round, he gripped the bottle hard, and threw it to the ground where shards of glass scattered on the wooden floor. He didn't care if he made a noise from upstairs.

As soon as the night came, he nonchalantly joined his uncle for dinner. He has not spoken due to his emotional stress right now, but Kenny understood. Only, he didn't know what made him like this.

And he knew it isn't like him to be that way.