Hopes For the Future

With a moan, she woke up first thing in the morning to see herself in an unfamiliar room. Her eyes traveled across the room, and it finally set on the ever so white sheets covering her lower body.

She sat up slowly, no unnatural feeling coursing through her body.

Her mind tried to remember what got her here. Then, it hit her. The last day, she had fought with Levi, only to fall down. She had a bad feeling in her stomach, and Oluo carried her to the infirmary.

Now she was suspicious.

A knock disrupted her thoughts and she bit her lip once she saw a nurse enter with food. "Good morning Ms. Ral, how are you feeling?" The nurse greeted her warmly. "I'm alright," Was all she answered.

"That's good to hear." The nurse starts pouring on the tea cup. Petra stared at the loaf of bread that was on the plate. And she noticed a small box beside the plate.

"What is that?" She asks, pointing to the small object. The nurse looked to the certain direction she was pointing at. "A woman came to me this morning, and she sent you something. I don't know what is inside."

Petra reached for the box and pulled the small ribbon wrapped around it. She lifted the lid open and saw a cupcake. "Who sent this?" The nurse then put back the teapot and smiled. "Ms. Zoë came by this morning."

Petra gasped and looked at the treat Hange sent to her. She read the inscription on the small paper.

"Petra! You should definitely try this! I heard the townspeople are selling these on the streets. I have tried and oh- They made my mouth water! It's also sweet, and creamy! I bet you'd love it! -Hange Zoë"

She raised an eyebrow and lifted the cupcake from the box. She inspected the small treat before nibbling on it. Her eyes went wide and therefore, she did not regret the words that came out of her mouth.

"It's delicious!" She exclaimed.

"I must be going, ma'am. Have a good morning." Before the nurse exited the room, Petra called her back in. "Wait, please tell me what is wrong with me. I...have suspected something from that incident." She pleaded. The nurse turned her heel and faced away from her.

"Congratulations, Ms. Ral. It is a healthy boy."

And after that, her hand shook, making the cupcake fall and splatter on the floor. The icing created a mess, and her eyes teared up. "What...?" She spoke through a sob.

+•+

Hange stood outside, patiently waiting for the golden-haired awaken. Until then, she has been served coffee or tea. Her choice - coffee. Hange breathed in the scent, a scent that she liked despite how notorious it is.

The smell of hospitals.

She didn't know why, but she just liked the smell. The brunette stood and brought the teacup with her to the lobby window. The receptionist was there, sipping her own drink.

Before she was gonna muse about the cloudy weather, she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Ms. Hange, she is awake."

Her eyes glinted. "Really? May I see her now?" The nurse nodded and left for the other room. Hange knew what room she stayed in after asking the receptionist.

Apparently, she still doesn't know about the 'incident' or anything that's been going on in her friend's life. Despite that, she still supported her and sent letters of greetings when she had the time. Petra knew too.