Chapter 1

Genji looked up at the shimmering stars, as they littered the sky with radiant lights. The moon loomed far above his head created almost a beam of light that cloaked the land in a faint blue. The green lights of his armor illuminated the area of the roof that he sat on. Running his metal fingers against the stone tiles he stared at the small traces of snow that clung to the metal.

Sometimes he wished that he could feel. He wished to be able to feel the cold as it stung his fingers like it used to or the rough texture of the stone tiles. Shaking his head a bit, he turned down the green light of his gear making it dimmer. He wished to see more of the blue coloring of the surrounding, but the world still had the tint of green to it. Reaching up, he undid the buckles on the back of his head before pulling off the mask. Setting it down beside him, it wasn't often that he removed the piece of metal. His eyes seemed to almost water a bit before he rubbed them with his left hand.

Sleep was most certainly eluding him tonight. His sleep was plagued with nightmares that would wake him up in a cold sweat. He knew why they were happening, it was coming to that time of the year. The week was almost upon him now, as he remembered the day so vividly. His brother yelling at him before drawing his weapon. Genji was not prepared for a battle, he had no weapons upon his body at the time.

It seemed like it was so long ago now. He rubbed his fingers together, feeling the faint sparks of the metal. The sensors registered some type of stimulation as it shot through his arm. Taking a deep breath, he allowed the cold air of the mountain to fill his lungs. The peace and serenity seemed to come over him in a thin veil, if he could only have this feeling when he tried to sleep. The faint whirl of his vents seemed to almost lull him into a sort of trance.

"Genji?" He heard the metallic voice call to him. Genji's eyes flew open as he grabbed the mask and put it back in place. A faint click and he got to his feet before jumping down from the roof. Landing on the walkway to his room, he looked over at the monk. Zenyatta floated off the ground. The orbs floating around his neck, before pulling away a bit and spinning. The omnic took an obvious sigh as he lowered his feet to the ground as his pants adjusted to the new position.

"Yes master?" Genji asked.

"Is something wrong?" Zenyatta asked. Genji froze at the question.

"Did I wake you master?" Genji questioned as he pulled the wakizashi from his back and placed it on its stand.

"Of course not. I was heading to my room when I..." Zenyatta stopped. "Genji I sensed your imbalance."

"It is nothing to worry yourself with master." Genji stated as he removed the sheath and placed it beside the blade. Pulling the katana from its own scabbard, he placed it on its pedestal before removing the case. Zenyatta was quiet for a few moments before shifting a bit on his feet.

"It's that time of the year isn't it?" Genji didn't say anything as he walked over to the mat on the ground and sat down.  Zenyatta watched his pupil for a few moments as he scanned the man over.

"Yes master." Genji responded. "Sleep doesn't come as often anymore." Genji stated. Zenyatta sat down beside the cyborg as a lull of silence fell over them. The closed back door let in little wind but it was enough to let the room be cold.

"Do you wish to speak of it?" Zenyatta asked. Genji took a deep breath for a moment as he glanced up at the monk.

"Not tonight." Genji responded.

"Perhaps mediation would be of some help." Zenyatta suggested. Genji nodded as his master and he took up their meditative positions. The silence was relaxing as the ninja got his breathing under control and his mind cleared.

One moment he was in his room, the next he was sitting upon a grassy hill. The cherry blossoms bloomed above him in the large tree. A faint rumble and he looked up noticing the bright green as it swirled around him.

"Ryu." Genji whispered as the dragon stopped spinning. The dragon's whiskers swayed as the beast's long body sort of wrapped around the cyborg. The dragon eyed its master as it watched him and as Genji got to his feet. Lowering its head closer to him, it allowed the ninja to touch the green scales. He remembers the course feeling of the scales as he would glide his hand over the dragon's body. Ryu moved more around him. His whiskers whipping around as the head of the dragon hovered over his shoulder. Laying his great head on Genji's shoulder, he allowed the man's metal arm to stroke its mighty head.

"Thank you for your protection." Genji stated as the dragon gave a coo in response. Its eyes fluttered as it pulled away from the ninja, swirling around him it made its guarding known. Genji chuckled at the dragon's reaction as he reached his hands up. With a swift movement the dragon zoomed down towards him. Moving his hands in a fluid movement like how he moved his sword, the dragon mimicked the movement.

Whirling up into the air it gave another roar as it zoomed back down and into the metal man. The dragon disappeared after a few moments as Genji ran his hands against his chest. He was expecting to come out of the vision, but it didn't end. Confused, Genji pulled his hands away from his chest. His eyes widened as the silver metal was coated in a thin layer of crimson. He stared down at his chest, noticing the large gash as the world around him melted.

"This is meditation. You can't taint this too." Genji whispered to himself. The room around him changed as he stared up at his brother a bloody sword in his hand. He could feel a tightness spread across his chest and the sudden fear overcame him.

"Hanzo?" Genji muttered. He could feel the glare as his brother raised the blade above his head and the moment seemed to almost freeze. A voice was calling out his name and he shook his head, trying to clear it of the memory.

Zenyatta shook him out of the trance as the ninja caught his breath. He unclipped the face plate casting it to the ground as it clattered against the wood. Genji could feel his stomach turning and he looked up at his master.

"You were shouting." Zenyatta stated. Genji lowered his head as his eyes fell shut and he swallowed hard. Reaching up, he moved the rest of the mask off his head, allowing it to fall to the ground as his black hair became visible. His scared features seemed to almost burn as he ran his hand over his eyes. His metal jaw clicked as his hit it a bit as it ran along his jaw line to the back of his neck. He hated the fact that he still looked more machine than human even without the helmet. Scratching his head, he sighed before looking up at his master.

"I forgave him... Why are the memories, still like nightmares?" Genji whispered.

"They are still memories. They are something that is not easy for one to forget... Have you thought about speaking to him?" Zenyatta suggested. Genji fell quiet, he didn't want to see his brother at least not yet. It appears his forgiveness hasn't stopped the nightmares yet.

"I'm dead to him." Genji stated.

"He needs to know you have forgiven him for what he has done. You should go to him and tell him you're alive. Your brother still needs you. He doesn't know and maybe it's time he does." Genji took in those words as he thought about everything that had happened since he last saw his brother.

"Forgiveness says you are given another chance to make a new beginning. Let Hanzo have a new beginning." Zenyatta said as he placed a hand on Genji's shoulder. His metallic body picked up on the gesture. As it shot the different electrical pulses through him. Taking a deep breath, he was about to speak when a beeping went off. Getting to his feet, he walked over to his bag. He had thrown against the wall once he moved into the temple permanently. Reaching in, he pulled out the small device as he read over the message.

"A recall... Perhaps you're right Zenyatta. I can go to my brother and forgive him. Maybe that will stop the nightmares." Zenyatta nodded his head at the statement. 

"Of course, you have my blessing." Zenyatta stated with a slight bow.

"Thank you master."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love Overwatch, and I absolutely suck at Genji but that doesn't mean I don't like his backstory. Also warning the title may change.