19: Flashbacks

3rd Person POV

______________________

*flashback to 14 years ago*

Fang was sitting in his cage. He had just finished being tested on for hours. He was aching and exhausted.

That morning, he had been moved to a new section of the school, a section for the experiments that caused trouble.

A whitecoat walked in and came up to Fang. "Hello," he said. Fang just glared at him. "My name is Jeb. And you are?"

Fang just looked at him and banged his hand on the door of the cage, making Jeb jump.

"Now now, settle down. I'm not going to hurt you."

Fang almost laughed. A whitecoat not hurt him?

"Batchelder! We have another one for you!" Someone yelled from the other side of the door, then there was a crash. "It's trying to get away! Grab it, grab it!" Someone yelled.

Three whitecoats came in, all holding on to a girl. The girl was fighting, trying to get away from them. They managed to fight her down and get her into a cage. They sit her cage down beside Fang's.

"It's all yours." The whitecoat told Jeb.

"I'm not an it!" The girl yells as they leave the room.

Fang looked at the girl. "Hello."

She glanced at him and muttered, "Hi."

"Do you have a name?" Fang asked.

"Maximum," She said, giving him a long look. "You?"

Fang nodded. "Nice name. I'm Fang."

"Why have you been banished here?" She asked.

"I nearly killed one of the whitecoats when he tried to take my blood. What about you?"

She grinned. "I've had three escape attempts. All failed of course."

Then the whitecoat Jeb came back in. "Are either of you two going to talk now?" Max and Fang just glared silently at him. "Okay, fine." He walked out of the room, turning out the light. It was pitch black. Fang could barley see Max in the cage next to him.

"Do you mind if I call you Max instead of Maximum?" Fang asked.

"Uh...sure." She said quietly.

"Okay. Good luck sleeping tonight, Max."

"You too, Fang."

✄ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The next day, a little boy and little girl are brought into the room in cages and are set across from Max and Fang. The boy is trembling, and the girl looks passed out.

"Are you all okay?" Max asked. The little boy looks over at Max, staying quiet. "What's your all's names?" She asked.

The boy swallows and said, "I never knew my name. But they call me 'the gasman'," He said. "And that's Angel."

"I'm Maximum," she glanced over at Fang. "But you can call me Max. And that's Fang."

"Hi." The Gasman said in a small voice.

"Don't worry... Gazzy. We'll be okay."

✄ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Later that day, Iggy was brought in. Max looks over at Iggy and sees that he's not looking back.

"What's your name?" Max asked.

"It's Iggy."

"I'm Maximum. But you can call me Max." She replied.

Max asked, "What's wrong, Iggy?"

He hesitated before saying, "They took away my sight. I'm blind now."

Max said nothing, not knowing how to respond do him.

"But it's okay. I'll be fine," He said. But she could hear him faintly whisper, "I hope."

✄ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The last one to be brought in was Nudge. A whitecoat rolled her into the room on a cart. He knocked the cage off and it fell on the floor with a loud CRASH. The whitecoat left, like nothing happened.

"Help me," The little girl whispered. "I can't take this anymore."

Max scoots to the edge of her cage. "It'll be alright. What's your name?"

"Nudge." she said in a quiet voice.

"I'm Max." She said.

Fang looked over at Max. "You know you just introduced yourself as Max, right?"

"I guess the name is growing on me," Max smiles at Fang. "And don't you all worry. We have a family now," Max looks around. "Each other. And were gonna get out of here."

*end of flashback*