Epilogue Pt. 2

I wake up to the sound of my door opening. I sit up. "Nick?" I say. Nick has nightmares a lot, and it wasn't uncommon for him to come in my room late at night. The door closes back and I see a figure standing against the door. Too big to be Nick or Liz, but not big enough to be an Eraser.

I push the covers back and stand. I slowly walk towards the figure. I stop abruptly, sucking in a breath. I knew that face. But...I had to be dreaming. It couldn't be.

"Max?"

She smiles slightly. "Yeah, it's me."

"B-but...You d-died...How?"

She takes a deep breath and starts explaining. "Well, back when we still lived in our old tree house - you, me, and the kids. That night that Dylan took Ember and you went after them, I woke up and you weren't there. I went out on the deck and...someone attacked me. It wasn't until she injected me with something that I saw it was Maya. She went back into the house and some Erasers picked me up, putting me in a helicopter. They brought me back to the school...I've been there for six years. About a week ago, Dylan came in my room. He unlocked my cage, but then left. I got out and jumped out the window...Just as the building blew up. I made it out because of Dylan. I went back to look for him but..." She stops talking.

"What happened to Dylan?" I ask softly.

"He's dead, Fang. He could have saved himself, gotten out. But he saved me. And now he's dead." A tear runs down her cheek.

"Max, it's alright," I take her hand and lead her over to the bed. I sit beside her as she leans her hear on my shoulder. "It's going to be okay." I whisper.

"What about Maya? Where is she right now?" She asks, pulling away from me.

"She died...I thought it was you."

"Well, it's not me. And it's not going to be me. I'm going to stay here, causing all kinds of trouble." She says softly as she lays down.

I lay down beside her, smiling. "Good. I wouldn't want to have it any other way."