That Night

He Saved Me

Chapter 31

*Throwback*

(This Happened Around Chapter 19)

As soon as I sent the message, I regretted it.

Why am I so needy?

I mean, I told him to leave me alone and then here I am, asking him if we could talk. I even blamed him for what happened.

Suddenly, my phone went off. I immediately reached for my phone to check the message. It was Hayley, not Luke.

Mary, please talk to me.
- Hayley

I sighed and closed my phone. At that moment I felt so stupid. I shouldn't have sent that text.

It was 8:00am and I decided to not sleep anymore. I wrapped myself with my blanket and headed downstairs.

I walked to the living and seated myself on the couch. I reached for the remote and turned on the tv. "A Walk to Remember," was on.

Because I was already in an emotional state, I cried. Sometimes life isn't fair.

Suddenly, my aunt walked into the living room. She was all dressed up.

"Mary! You're home?" she asked.

I nodded in response.

"I thought you were at Eric's?" she asked.

"How did you know that?" I asked.

"Eric called me," she answered. "Now answer my question."

I shrugged and said, "I left."

"Well, do you mind cooking yourself breakfast? I have somewhere to be," she said.

"Ya, sure," I answered, turning to face the TV again.

"Don't burn down the house," she joked.

Except to me it wasn't a joke.

How could she say something like that?

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that," she apologized.

I didn't answer or turn around so she took it as a cue to leave. I continued to watch movies.

Out of nowhere I fell asleep. I woke up to find the sun still up. I had no idea what time it was so I ran upstairs to check my phone.

It was 5:42pm. I had multiple text messages from Luke.

"I wanna see you."

"You can stop by my house whenever."

"I'm always going to be here for you."

"I needa see you."

"I miss you."

I didn't reply. I followed my first instinct: get ready to see Luke. I made myself look somewhat descent. Although, I kept my hair up in a bun.

I walked out of my room and called for my aunt.

"Aunt Helen!" I called. "Aunt Helen are you home?" I yelled.

There was no response. She's probably still at wherever she said she had to go to.

I left my aunt a message and left. I walked to the bus stop. Within about 20 mins the bus came. I was headed to Luke's.