Almost

He Saved Me

Chapter 6

Hayley and I were heading back after talking to Luke. Did he really want me to come? I mean, he can't be serious. He could have pretty much any girl in my school yet, he wants to go to the bonfire with me.

"Are you thinking about him again?" Hayley asked while taking a bite of her Hersey chocolate bar.

I stared at her for a bit, "Actually, no. I'm not," I said looking away.

"Sure, what ever you say," she mumbled.

"What did you say?"

"I didn't say anything," she said covering her mouth.

I just shook my head and smiled. Hayley would always say something then act like she never said anything. It would piss me off, but I got used to it.

"Are you going to go to the party with the group?" I asked her while looking up at the sky. It was almost sunset. The party would be starting in about 2 hours.

"No, unless you go."

"No, Hayley if you want to go. Go," I said shaking my head from side to side. "It should not matter if I go or not."

"Actually," she began to say. "It does because you're the only reason why we got invited to the party," she added.

She was partly right. We never were invited to the Back To School Bonfire ever since Freshman year. The only reason we were invited now was, becuase of Luke.

"I know you want to go," Hayley said smirking. "Don't lie."

"No, stop," I said laughing.

"No, you stop. You're lying to yourself. Like always. Mary, you need to have a little more fun. You've never been the same ever since your Dad," she said but I cut her off.

I knew it was true, I had changed. Well, a little bit, but it wasn't because of my Father. I just wanted to change. I hated my old self. The one who was careless and only cared about herself.

"Hayley, I'm still fun to be around with."

She turned to look at me. "Sure," she said laughing once more.

"Fine, you want fun?" I screamed and threw my hands in the air. "I'll go to that stupid party."

I regretted the words once it came out of my mouth.

"Really," she smiled. "Ok, then lets get you ready!" she said.

"Ugh," I muttered as we quickly went back to my house.

I decided to wear high waist navy green jeggings, a cropped black long sleeve, with a maroon beanie and scarf. I didn't want to go all out because the party wasn't even formal. Plus it was going to be cold tonight.

"So, you decided to go?" I hear my Mom say from my door.

"Ya, I guess. Are you sure you can stay here alone?" I asked while picking out my favorite pair of black combat boots.

"You're Dad will be here. Don't worry about me sweetie," she smiled at me.

I know she knows that Dad doesn't count as company. I mean he's barely home and when he is he just destroys things, which scare me. There are so many terrible things that he could do to Mom and I would feel so guilty if I wasn't there to help her from him. She didn't deserve him. We don't deserve him.

"Sweetie, promise me one thing," my Mom said before I headed out with Hayley.

"Yes?" I ask her.