Funeral and Jail

He Saved Me

Chapter 16

I wake up to am unfamiliar smell. I opened my eyes to find myself in a different room. I scratched my head, which made my hair more messy than it already was. A few seconds later, I realized I was in my Aunt's house. Yesterday was the death of my Mother. My father was taken by the police. I had a fight with Luke. Now I'm living with my Aunt.

I stood up and walked straight to the bathroom. I combed my hair and brushed my teeth. After, I sat on the edge of the bed with my phone in my hand.

I was currently on my contacts. I gently scrolled down to Luke's name. I clicked on the message button and began typing.

I'm so sorry about last night. I need to see you. Please I need you right now.

I stared at it for what seemed like hours. I then shut my eyes and took a deep breath in. I pressed on the backspace button to delete the message. I couldn't send it. He'd probably think I'm needy. He's already done so much for me. All I could do for him is to leave him out of this mess.

I slide my phone into the pocket of my pants and head to the kitchen. Before I even got there I could smell the scent of waffles and syrup.

In front of the stove was my Aunt Helen. She turned to me and gave me a small smile. I was too weak to give her one back, so I took a seat. She handed me a plate already prepared with food. I stared at it not feeling hungry. I stick my fork into the waffles multiple times not able to put some in my mouth.

"The police want to talk to you," Helen said as she took a sip of coffee.

"I don't want to and I won't," I said.

"Mary, you have no choice," she snapped.

I slammed the fork in my hand on the table with a loud thump. I immediately feel water fill up my eyes.

"Why are you acting so calm? You're sister just died! I just lost my damn Mother and Father," I yelled.

As soon as I said those words guilt came over me. I had no right to say that because I wasn't the only one who lost someone, but still. Losing two parents on the same day is just too much.

"I'm sorry Mary, just please settle down," she humbled. "Please, just get ready?"

I stood up and pushed my chair under the table. I left my untouched waffles and headed to my new room. I got dressed and walked out to already find my Aunt waiting outside for me.

I leave the house and get in the car. I slammed the car door, but I didn't dare look at her. I couldn't. How does she not understand? She lost someone too, but why do I feel like it's just me?

The drive to the police station took about 10 minutes. As soon as we parked the car I opened the door and headed inside the station.

Before I got inside the door opened. Luke was exiting the building. He stopped walking and so did I. I could feel tears wanting to escape my eyes. He then nodded his head at me and began walking again. He walked past me and I could feel chills go down my entire body.

I lost everyone.

My Aunt catches up with me and opens the door for me. I went in and took a seat while Helen talked to the guy in the front desk. I waited impatiently.

All I could think about was why was Luke here. Did they ask him questions too?

As I thought about it a door opened and a police man came out with my Father. As soon as I saw his face all I could feel was anger. His face on the other hand was smiling. This just made me furious. I stood up from my seat and approached him.