8. It's Not Safe To Play With Knives... But You Can Sure Try

Carl’s POV

Jade was talking to some younger girls from Woodbury. “Can you do my hair?” The younger girl asked Jade. “Of course Mika”, she replied as she started braiding the girl’s hair. “Jade…”, I said to her. She looked up at me before snapping, “I’m busy right now “. I sighed as I sat down next to her. “All I need is a moment of your time”, I demanded. She said nothing in response and continued to do the young girl’s hair. After another moment she tied the elastic band around the end of her hair, and the girl thanked her before running off with her sister. “What do you want, Carl?” Jade asked me. “Look Jade, I know you’re mad at me and you have every right to be, but you have to understand that I did this for a reason. I couldn’t stand to see you get hurt. He was armed! He could have done anything to you or Hershel”, I said before she interrupted me by saying with a look of frustration on her face, “He was surrendering. He dropped his gun”.
“Can’t you see? I defended you! I love you Jade! There I said it! I’m freakin’ in love with you and if something happened to you I don’t know what I would’ve done”, I yelled full of frustration. She stopped for a second with a look of being unsure how to react. “You-you love me?” she stuttered. I grabbed her hand and held it in my own. “Yes. Yes I do. You mean everything to me”, I replied. “Beth and Michonne were right”, she said with a smile. “What?” I asked in confusion. “They said that you cared about me and that you loved me and I loved you to”, she replied. This time it was me asking, “You love me?” She laughed at me. God she was gorgeous when she laughed. “Of course I do. Why wouldn’t I?” she said. I cupped her face in my hands and pulled her in for a long, passionate kiss. She giggled. “It’s about time you guys made up. It’s been ages”, a voice I recognise as Michonne’s behind us. Jade laughed at Michonne. “Too long”, she replied as she nuzzled her head into my neck. “Aw, you guys are they cutest couple I know. The group will be happy that you guys can be in the same room without yelling at each other”, Michonne said before walking back into cell block C.

Jade’s POV

It was great to be back together with Carl. I must admit that I had missed him like crazy. I sat with Carl eating a deer that Daryl had caught earlier. Suddenly a boy I knew as Patrick came up to Carl and I. ‘Hi Jade”, he said with no recognition of Carl. “Hey Patrick”, I replied awkwardly. “You’re really pretty”, he said to me. I felt Carl tense up next to me. I gave him a look of reassurance before looking back at Patrick. “Would you like to be my girlfriend?” he asked. Oh God! Anything but that! I thought. I noticed that Carl had made a fist. “Uh- well, I’m Carl’s girlfriend so no thanks”, I said embarrassed. “Oh, hi Carl. Uh… well… I-I  have t-to g-go. Nice seeing you guys”, Patrick said before running away as red as a tomato. “God that kid needs to get a grip”, I replied with a laugh. “For a second  I thought you were gonna say yes”, Carl said. I ruffed his hair before replying in a hushed voice, “I would never leave you”. He smiled at me and pulled me into a standing position from a sitting one.  “Let’s go down to the fence”, he said as he wrapped an arm around my waist. I bit my lip as a thought popped into my head. “Race you to the watchtower outside cell block D”, I said before speeding off. Before I knew it we were tying. “I’m gonna beat you”, I teased. “No way”, he replied. I was about 10 feet away from the watchtower so I quickly sprinted and just beat him. “Ha ha. I beat you!” I said with a sly grin. “Only because I let you. I’m the real winner here”, he responded cheekily. “In your dreams, Grimes”, I said as I walked out onto the grass. “You’re in my dreams”, he replied as he grabbed me by my waist and pulled me close to him. “I better be”, I retorted.

I watched as some of the younger children were calling out to the walkers. Especially to the one who had a nametag that read Nick. “Nick! Nick!” Mika called out as she through a stick at him. “Look, they aren’t pets. Don’t name them!” Carl yelled at the younger kids. “Carl”, I whispered as I touched his arm soothingly. The other kids ran off to the library where Carol was teaching the kids things. Carl and I started to walk back to the cell block. “Look, someone had to teach them that this is not a game. They’re not pets”, he said as he kicked a rock that was on the ground. “I know, I know but they’re only kids. They don’t know any better. Don’t you think you were a little rough?” I replied. He sighed before looking in my eyes and kissing me hard. “What was that for?” I asked with a smile. “For being so caring”, he replied. I suddenly burst out laughing. “Because I’m so caring? I’m sorry babe but that sounded a little lame”.
“Whatever”, he said with a smirk as he rolled his eyes. “You wanna see what the kids are doing with Carol?” Carl asked. I nodded before walking briskly to the library. We didn’t want to disturb them so we his behind a book case. Carol was reading the children a book. “Boring”, I mouthed to Carl. He smiled and then mouthed back “I know right”.  Once the man who was watching the children left Carol brought out… knives?!

“Knives”, I muttered softly. “You think she’s teaching them how to kill walkers?” Carl asked me.
“Yeah, she’s probably teaching them how to defend themselves”, I whispered. I looked to see that Patrick was also in the room. “Excuse me, ma’am. I’m feeling sick”, Patrick said. Carol let him off and he stumbled out of the library. We stayed and listened to them for a while before leaving.

“Why would she do it in secret?” Carl asked me. I thought for a second. “Probably because your dad and the kid’s parents would disagree with Carol’s approach”, I replied.
“Should I tell my dad?” he asked.
“I would recommend that we confront Carol first and then tell your dad. She might have good reasoning”.
“You’re so smart”, he said before kissing my neck. “Mmm… I know”, I said before lifting his chin up so I could kiss him on the lips.