3. The Truth Comes Out When You're Drunk

Jade’s POV

Like I said, Daryl would sneak us and drink. Rick at first wasn’t too pleased but he came around in the end. Like come one?! It’s a zombie apocalypse! Who even cares anymore? It’s not like we have a stable government that will send us to prison for underage drinking. We live in a prison. I only drank I little bit on vodka and a beer because Daryl literally shoved it in my face and forced me to drink it. It’s not like I’m complaining or anything. Let’s just say that Carl maybe had one to many drinks and was slurring about life. “Jade, life is weird. There are walkers like EVERYWHERE! Would you marry me if I was the last man on Earth? I bet you would”, he said with a laugh. I just laughed at him and tapped him on the shoulder. “Carl, you’re right. You should marry Jade. You two would be perrrrrrfect together”, Daryl slurred. “Daryl!” I said defensively. Rick had decided to stay sober so we wouldn’t do anything stupid. Beth and I weren’t drunk but if we had a bit more to drink we would be. I picked up the beer bottle and checked the alcohol so I could estimate how much of a hangover they would have tomorrow. The bottle had Alcohol- 7%. That’s quite a lot. My Dad was like a beer expert. He would brew his own and sell it to people in the town. He used to bore me by telling me everything about beer you could possibly know. After hearing the same speech over and over and over and over again, it kind of sticks.

“So Carl, how you feeling, son?” Rick Carl. “On top of the world!” he said, dazed. I just giggled. “Hey Jade, do you think Carl is hot?” a drunk Glenn asked. My face had immediately gone as red as a tomato. “Why do you ask that?” I said a little faster than normal. “Because we know you liiiiiiike him. Carl, what do yooou think of Jade?” Maggie said. “I think she’s reeeeeeeealllllllllllly pretty”, Carl slurred. I blushed and put my head in my hands.

The rest of the night was spent telling drunken stories about that past. I had fallen asleep next to the fire that Daryl and Glenn had built. I woke up in my own bed. How did I get here? I thought. I looked in the bunk below that Carl slept in but he was gone. I slipped out of bed and headed downstairs to see people groaning and complaining as they ate some baked beans. “Let me guess… hangover?” I asked. “Yes”, they all complained except for Beth, Rick, obviously Judith and I. I sat down next to Carl. “Hey. How you feeling?” I asked. “Horrible. Did I say anything unusual last night?” he asked. “A lot was nonsense but the two that stood out was that, I should marry you and you think I’m reeeeeeeeallllllllly pretty”, I said with a smirk. He suddenly went red and bowed his head in embarrassment. I tussled his hair before saying, “Don’t worry about it. You were drunk”. “Thanks”, he said with a smile.

Carl and I were walking down to the stream because we really, like really need to clean up. On the way I shot a few walkers. It’s weird that I used to be this sweet little girl and now I’m rough as guts, shooting walkers almost day girl. It’s amazing how one big thing could change your whole personality. I’ve noticed it in Carl. He used to be one of those shy, cute kids like I was. He’s a lot more stubborn and strong now. Once we had cleaned ourselves up we went for a walk. “So Jade, you lived in Woodbury?” Carl asked. “Yeah, for about a month, until I realised how much of a jerk the governor was. Like, who calls themselves the governor anyway? He does this thing where he acts all nice but then backstabs you… literally. He actually tried to stab me… with a knife… in the back. He said to me ‘Jade, you’re not a good influence to this town. You shot down walkers and that scares the town’. Ridiculous! I was trying to save them”, I said angrily.

Flashback

Woodbury was a nice little community full of nice enough people, until today. Walkers had tried to climb over the wall that was built to keep them out so I pulled out my gun. The town stared at me as I climbed up the wall and pointed the gun a walker’s head. I pulled the trigger and he fell. I did that to a few more when I saw one climb over the wall. I shot the remaining ones before jumping down and shooting the one that had climbed over the wall. “Jade!” an angry voice yelled from a distance. I turned to see the governor. “Come with me”, he said as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me away into his office. “What is it?” I asked. “Jade you need to leave”, he said. “Why? It’s safe here”, I replied. “I don’t care. Jade, you’re not a good influence on the town. You shot down walkers and that scares the town”, he said calmly. “I wasn’t trying to scare them. I was trying to save them. Walkers were getting over the fence and you want me to goddamn leave it! People could’ve died and I saved them”, I demanded. “Shut up child! We could have handled it”, he yelled. “Yeah, you could have. But you didn’t. I don’t have that much faith in you no more. One day this stupid town will die because of your idiotic actions. I’m happy to leave. It seems as though I’m better out there than in here. Lucy and  I will be out of your hair by tonight”, I stated proudly before leaving and slamming the door shut.

End of Flashback

“He is an idiot and he needs to be taken down”, I said. “Yeah the girl that came a few days after you, Michonne has the same opinion. She left Woodbury as well. I heard her tell my dad”, he replied. I smiled at him before heading back up to the Prison.