10. A Hunting Trip Gone Wrong...

Jade’s POV

It kind of sucked being stuck in here but Rick insisted for us to be in here so we didn’t get infected. Rick would update us almost twice a day on what was going on around the Prison. Hershel had gone out to pick berries for a herbal tea for the ill people. Apparently Hershel’s first wife, the woman he truly loved, would make this tea and it was lower your temperature. What was keeping me sane were; comic, books, singing with Beth, writing in a diary I found that had no words written in it, playing with baby Judith and hanging out with Carl. The only time Carl and I were allowed out was if we need food or water, or to speak with Rick.

I was incredibly bored so I pulled out the diary and I pen that I found in the Warden’s office’s draw.

Dear Diary,

I’m so bored. I hate being in a confined space. If I didn’t have Carl with me, I’d be fairly angry and not mentally stable. You see, I have claustrophobia which annoys me and being stuck in this building is fairly irritating. If we were in one room I’d be having an anxiety attack. It happened to me all the time when I was younger. God, I have issues.

Even though we’re living in dangerous circumstances, I couldn’t be happier. I have Carl. Sure, being in here angers me to the core but I’m not alone. I’ve never been this happy in my life. These conditions have brought me closer to people I’ve known and even the people I didn’t know. These people are my family. I know they’re not blood related but what does that matter?

I still think about Lucy and Ashton. After thinking about them the other day, I realised that they had a thing going on! You know… a bit of a romance, but that doesn’t matter anymore. They’re both dead. I had to kill them. They were pretty much dead anyway. There was nothing I could do to prevent it from happening or to make them live. I told Beth about them the other day. It was… fairly hard. I don’t know what I’d do if Carl died. It would be extremely-

“Jade!” Carl yelled from the corridor. “Hang on a moment!” I yelled back before continuing to write.

It would be extremely hard. I don’t know how I’d live without him in my life.

-         Jade Harrington.

“What is it?” I asked as I looked up to see him standing in doorway. “It’s Glenn. He’s sick”, he said. I widened my eyes in disbelief. “Glenn? I wonder how Maggie is. She’d be heartbroken if he died”, I said with my face down. “Jade”, Carl said as he lightly patted my arm, “He’ll be okay. All of these people will survive”. I sighed knowing that he was lying but he was trying to comfort me.

“Carl- I know you’re lying but it isn’t going to help. These people are dying and we have to get out there and do something about it!” I exclaimed. “Jade, calm down babe”, he whispered in my ear before kissing me on the cheek.

I heard the padding of footsteps down the dimly lighted hall. It was day time but the place was a mess, which gave it an odd ambience. I then heard voice. “Daddy, you can’t do this. You’ll get sick”, the voice of Maggie rang. “Maggie, I’ll be fine. These people need help”, Hershel’s southern voice said, travelling down the long hall. “Carl, Jade, Beth!” Hershel’s voice yelled.  Carl and I ran to Hershel, closely followed by Beth who was holding Judith. “I’m going to help these people and I won’t be back. When I go out I’ll be exposed to the illness. I’m going into the quarantine to give these people the tea I made. It’ll lower their temperature while Daryl, Michonne, Bob and Tyreese are finding medical supplies at a Vet College near here”, Hershel explained. Beth immediately got angry at her father and yelled, “But Daddy, you can’t do this. What if you get sick?” Hershel looked into her eyes and replied “If it means saving you, this is what I’ll do”. Hershel then walked off leaving Beth with tears in her eyes.