{6 years ago}

No matter how many times she closed her eyes and imagined she wasn't there, her mother still stood in front of her.

"Kim Jisoo, this is your responsibility after I'm gone."

She shook her head with defiance. "I won't! This is just cruel, umma. I can't do it!"

Her mother's stoic look didn't change, just watched as Jisoo rambled reasons why she couldn't do the task in a frenzy. She knew her daughter could handle it, she was the splitting image of her.

Mrs. Kim had taken Jisoo out of her class that day, telling the teachers that her daughter needed a check-up and had taken her to the Roosevelt, a building that was only known to the immensely wealthy.

Jisoo blinked the tears away from her eyes and pointed an accusatory finger at her mother. "How could you, umma? Wasn't appa enough? Weren't we enough to make you stay?"

The older woman's face softened as the brunette started sobbing from the revelation. She couldn't believe that this woman, the angel that had always guided her, committed such a terrible act. Mrs. Kim gingerly cupped her cheek and wiped a tear away with her thumb.

"It will always be your appa and you, Jisoo." She said softly. "Greed has changed many, and I'm afraid your father is one of them."

"Is that why?" Her voice cracked.

The older woman smiled slightly but shook her head. "I made a vow to always be with your father, sweetheart. I have no plans of revoking that; but as my only daughter, I want you to do this for me because your brothers can't know."

Still recovering from the shock but now willing to listen again, Jisoo nodded. Mrs. Kim gently took her chin in between two fingers and made her face to the left, to see several documents on the desk.

"Tell me about him, umma, please."

Mrs. Kim lost the smile as she led her daughter to sit on the chair and sat opposite to her, looking somber. "We were supposed to be a very big family, Jisoo. You were supposed to have 2 sisters and 3 more brothers, but they either ended in miscarriage or died early."

Nobody was supposed to know about the deaths of the other children but now Jisoo had to swallow the knowledge that she lost so much family that she didn't even know about.

"It was rape, love." Mrs. Kim's voice cracked. "They wanted revenge for what your appa did to them, and they did that to me."

Jisoo covered her mouth when she gasped, and the other hand reached for her mother. "Oh my God, umma..."

The older woman shook her head as if denying it. "Your father sent the baby away as soon as he was born, he didn't even let me hold or see him."

Jisoo's heart broke with each word, and she suddenly feels a connection with the child that was lost. "I haven't stopped searching until I found your brother, whose name is Jeon Jungkook."

Mrs. Kim smiled faintly when she heard her daughter repeat the name. "And I want you to take care of your other younger brother. He's 2 years younger than you, and looks like Seokjin. The brute that was his father is long dead and he thinks he's an orphan. Letting him go was the biggest mistake of my life, love." Then she took the documents and gave it to Jisoo. "I have faith in you, Jisoo."

"I'll find him, umma, and I'll bring him home."

{Present Time}

She was just moments away from meeting her half-brother, even if it was just through the screen. Jisoo makes a mental note to thank Park Jimin who was apparently his partner in investigave journalism and the one who reached out to her for an interview. But she has to be very careful about this because she knew her family's reach was very far and widespread.

Taehyung was dead asleep in the next room, Rosé was casually sitting near the door to help her (Jisoo just mentioned 'half-brother' and 'meet' and that was all it took for Rosé to agree to the plan) and her trying to calm her nerves.

She doesn't even bother reaching for the file that she's practically memorized and then the Skype notification pops up. Her fingers quickly press accept and their eyes meet.

Jungkook's brown hair was a shade darker than Taehyung's and he looked too endearing when he smiled at her. Her heart practically melted and shouted for her to keep the smol boi safe at all times.

"Annyeong, Miss Kim. I'm Jeon Jungkook."

He's dazzled by the small smile she has, and he'd expected her to be cold and very business-like but for some reason, he thinks Lisa and her would get along quite fine. She's beautiful, but he wasn't really looking for another girl.

"Nice to meet you, Jungkook-ssi." Then her grin grew wider. "Shall we proceed?"