Chapter one / who is she

"To love is nothing. To be loved is something. But to love and be loved, that's everything." — T. Tolis

17th century

Paliyana city

Late in the afternoon
A few days later.

The market place was live and busy. People walking here and there, loud noises, stall owners trying to sell there goods, it was a farmers market day. Two parallel rows of stone structured pavilions were running, in a cross section. Each and every space was occupied. Temporary shops were neatly lined up in a wide row and people with fewer wares were sitting in a row, in the centre of the lane. Tempting aromas were floating from the centre of the market. It was the quarterly market, held every three months. People from far and near came with their wares. This was the biggest grain market in this entire area. The market was always set outside the city, in the open ground. It was divided into four sections across the grounds. One section was for the live stock, where animal of any type were available. Next to it was the grains market, where all grains and pulses were sold directly by the farmers. The other side was divided into smaller sections with market for all types of cloth and vegetables and pottery goods. In the centre of this entire market delicate smells were wafting. Here all types of snacks and food and sweet delicacies were being sold.

A young man entered into the market square, looking around, as though searching for someone. The sun was sweltering hot, but the market place was packed with people. He was a tall good looking man with sharp features, a mop of curly hair, wheatish complexion, dancing eyes, a ready smile, he had a thick moustache curling around at the edges. His attire was simple. Not seeing the person in question he turned, looked around again , then seeing a huge peepul tree in the centre of the area he ran towards it. There was a high platform surrounding the tree. He climbed on to it and he looked around again. There was suddenly a look of relief as he located the man he was looking for.

"Rudra!! Rudra!!"

He called out as he saw the man in question walking away from a shop. He was a very tall man by any standards. Lean and muscular with not an inch of fat on his well framed body. A maroon turban taming the curly bunches of thick black hair framing a handsome chiseled face. A beard truly sculpting his handsome jaws. Deep penetrating eyes which never missed anything.......Women were never very far from him, he seem to attract them like a beacon, and it was always so since their teenage years. As he was walking towards the market centre he was already surrounded by girls. Walking a little behind him they were giggling. But his friend seemed to have no reaction on his face. He was simply walking as though nothing was out of the normal. But for his friend it was normal to be followed around by the girls and although he ignored them he was never rude. No that was not Rudra!! Ever the gentleman.

Sighing deeply, if only he were that lucky.... the beauties were wasted on his friend who was not even giving them a look. God alone knew what Rudra wanted, he on the other side would be happy with who ever looked at him. He was not choosy.

He waved frantically as his friend got near, yelling out to him. Rudra finally heard him and looked around for him. Seeing him, he too waved back to Ballu. Ballu sauntered towards his friend, a large grin on his face. He too was a tall and handsome man, but lacked the aura that his friend carried. But on the other hand where his friend dominated others simply with his presence , Ballu attracted people with his warm bubbly personality.

"Where were you? I have looked all over for you. Kaka is asking for you. "

"Is everything alright?"