Chapter six/ off to the jungle

"If I know what love is, it is because of you." — Herman Hesse

"Chief Aare, the monsoon is early, and due to the heavy rain two days back we have been unable to save the last field. The crop is totally destroyed."

An elderly man wearing a beige dhoti and a red bundi, with a beige turban, silver armbands and turquoise pendant stood with a long chart in front of a group of men and women, seated in a circular setting. The chief Aare was seated in the high seat. While five men and three women were seated around him.

"What about the rest of the crop?" Chief Aare asked.

"Most of the wheat crop has been stored away, we have more then enough to last us for the whole year. Just the corner plots, which were planted late, we weren't able to harvest them on time. All the men and women were busy planting the rice fields. Thankfully the monsoon planting has been completed and the fields are ready for the rain." Replied Tilakdev.

"Have all the accounts of the farmers been cleared."

"Not yet!! It has been only two three days since the caravan has come back with the traded goods. But it shall all be cleared by next week."

"What about the rain water drainage ditches, Rupa Devi. There having been a lot of complains coming in of late."

Rupa Devi saw to the maintainance of the village. She was a highly respected person in the village.

"The work is not progressing as we would like, chief. The work is too much and the men too few."

"How many men had been allotted for this task?"

"Ten men!" She replied.

"Fine! we will see how many more men we can get to volunteer for this task. Gohil you will see to it."

Gohil Rai nodded, as one of the Panchas this was part of his job.

"What about the security, Rudra?"

"Chief Aare, my men have been patrolling the village perimeters. All is fine."

"What about the bridge. Has the monthly inspection been done."

"Chief, the bridge has been inspected, it will need repair, some of the planks are rotting, and one of the lower beams has developed cracked."

"Fine we will put some people to repair it. Gohil you will see to getting men for this work too." Chief Aare directed Gohil Rai. Turning to Rudra, Chief Aare asked," anything else?"

"Now only the outer perimeter is left for inspection. We shall be sending out ten groups of five soldiers all around the outermost areas, and the inner areas of the Kundalgad plateau have already been inspected. All is fine. Within the next few days, I shall be going to inspect the lower jungle area." Rudra spoke.

"Hmmm.... Is that all for today?"

"Chief our Vaidyaraj......he wanted to talk to you." Kaka reminded the chief.

"Has he come?"

"Yes chief, he is sitting outside in the baithak. Shall I summon him?"

At chief Aare's nod he went out. He came back a few minutes later with the man in question and his elder daughter. They came forward and joining their hands greeted everyone in the room.

"So Vaidyaraj you wished to discuss something with us?"

"Greetings Chief Aare, I have come with a request, yes."

At the chief's nod he continued........

"Chief Aare, my daughter and I have been working towards setting up the aushadhalalya, and although I have all the required instruments, I am severely lacking in some of the most essential medicines. The monsoon is upon us and it brings many sicknesses which can affect the entire village. Although I am extremely happy with the cleanliness of the village but, still....and my hands are tied with the medicines that I have at present."