Chapter 3

"Majnu put your head down! I can't see anything that's written on the board" I whisper yell at him for the 3rd time since the lecture started.

"Tumhe hi problem ho rahi hai! Baaki sab ko toh dikh raha hai!" He says leaning backwards.

"That's because unke saamne tum nahi baithe ho. Boy, your head is bigger than Auro!" I say and the people surrounding us laugh.

"You both what's wrong? You are disturbing the whole class. What's going on?" Sir snaps at us and we both are startled.

"Err sorry sir" I say avoiding all the gazes pointed at me. "She can't see the board and is asking me to sit on the floor" Rudra says and I throw him a glare.

Talk about being extra.

"Just exchange your seats" Sir says and my eyes widen.

"Yes!"

"No!"

The 'yes' was obviously by Rudra and I squeak a 'no'. But Rudra has already taken my bag and kept it on his seat as he gets up waiting for me to sit in the front.

I look at him, then Sir, then the whole class and they all are giving me an impatient look.

Great just great!

I slowly get up and drag my feet in the front and slump on the chair. Sir starts writing on the board again and I scribble it down. Don't look at him, don't look at him.. don't!

Just one chotu sa glance. He won't even know.

I slowly look sideways and Viraj at the exact same time catches me. His passive expression changes and he raises an eyebrow.

I quickly look away. Stupid eyes! Stupid me! Stupid Viraj.

Sir starts telling us about the events and curriculum and my mind starts wandering.

Will he talk to me? Should I talk to him? Maybe say hi. Or tell him that I still want to take badlaa for his salon treatment three years back. What if he is planning to trouble me again. What if....

I suddenly feel a firm strong hand pressing down on my hand and I look up at Viraj. He is holding my hand. Why? WHY??

My heart starts beating faster and my breathing picks up. I gulp down the lump in my throat.

"Will you stop tapping your pen on the desk? It's really irritating" he says holding my hand up showing me the pen and my mouth falls open.

I quickly remove my hand and fold them in front of me. My over thinking brain should get a round of applause.

He is not holding your hand dummy he is getting irritated.

I sit like that for the whole lecture. At the end Buttha sir drops the bomb just when the bell rings.

"There will be many assignments and stuff and many of them will be paired ones. I don't wanna make pairs so whoever is your partner now, will be your partner for the rest of the year in all the assignments. Cool everybody..? Um your name is Rudra right? Just note down all the names. Bye class".

Did he just.. did he.. me and Viraj.. Viraj and me.. partners? For the whole year! You've got to be kidding me.

I look at Viraj and he is glaring at Rudra. Just when he is about to speak Rudra speaks up. "Arre Veer vo ladki tujhe bula rahi hai" he says pointing in the front and we both look back. There is no one.

When he looks back Rudra has packed his bag and has gone choo mantar. Viraj picks up his bag and quickly runs behind him chasing him. Pari is laughing behind him and I smack her with my book.

"Aur bulaa Rudra ko" she grins and I roll my eyes. "Mai dekh ke aata hu Rudra ke maut ka tamasha. Gate ke yaha milna ok" Joel laughs and quickly kisses Shabnam on her cheek and leaves. Idiots!

"Shabnam, which school are you from?" I ask her as we head out of the building. "St. Carmel" she answers. "And how long have you been dating Joel?" Pari asks. "It's just been a month or so" she answers shyly. "You are so shy, I really find it cute" I say.

"Kuch sharam Aashi ke saath bhi share karo. Badi besharam hai ye" Pari says and I shake my head. "How long have you guys known each other?" Shabnam asks and I and Pari look at each other and smile. "Since kindergarten" we both blurt together.

When we reach the ground I see that Viraj and Rudra are in a heated argument. "Mujhe ek document submit karna tha office me abhi yaad aaya.. I'll just be back" Pari says and goes away.

"There she is. Aashi do you have any problem being Veer's partner?" Rudra asks me as soon as he sees me. Before I answer him Viraj speaks up.

"Usse problem hai ke nahi uska chhod. Mujhe problem hai Rudra. I can't be her partner for the rest of the year!" he says folding his arms.

"Excuse me?" I say giving him a mixture of shocked and angry look.

"You are excused. Rudra, mai uska partner nahi bann sakta. Mera naam uske saath nahi hona chahiye bass, baat khatam!" He snaps.

Oh boy! So this piece of shit hasn't changed at all.

"I'm standing right here!" I say waving a hand in front of his face.

"So?" he raises his eyebrows. My mouth falls open. The nerve of this guy!

"Mujhe bhi tumhari partner banne ka koi shauk nahi hai ok. Rudra, just pair me up with Pari" I say getting irritated.

"You both shit heads, mere paas ek hi mauka hai uske saath time spend karne ka! I've loved her from I don't know how long, so I am not letting go of this chance. Pari is my partner and she'll stay my partner. I don't care now" he shouts.

I and Viraj sneak a glance at each other and stay quiet. "Guys jaane do na. It's just some assignments and you can divide the work or whatever. Rudra toh kabse Pari se pyaar karta hai. Let him be her partner na" Shabnam explains in a calm voice.

I sigh. Is this for real?

"Fine! Write my name with whatever-her-name-is" Viraj says shrugging.

"What do you mean 'whatever her name is'! My name is Aslesha Mathur. Are you really that dumb?" I snap at him, my anger boiling inside.

"I only remember things that are worth remembering. So yea whatever" he says and walks away.

Oh really?

I go and grab his bag from behind and turn him around. "Oh I'll make sure that you don't forget me mister. Just you watch" I say and turn to walk away when he does the same thing grabbing my bag. I stumble backwards.

"We'll see about that ass-le-sha" he says and smirks arrogantly and walks away.

My mouth falls open. He remembers! That asshole. Instead of following him I look at Rudra and go and grab his collar.

"Whoa whoa.. tumhare ek hafte ka canteen ka kharcha meri taraf se fine?" he asks and I tighten my hold shooting him a glare. "Fine fine ek mahina. Pura kharcha Aashi.. pura ka pura" he says removing my hands.

Yea I can do it. I can do it for food. Just then Pari comes. "So what's going on?" she asks.

"Meri Pari Rani. College is gonna be so much fun" he pinches her cheek and goes away towards Viraj who is waiting impatiently on his bike.

Pari is blushing and smiling touching her cheek as Joel and Shabnam too, walk away saying goodbyes.

"Kya hua?" Pari asks looking dreamily at Rudra. "Ugh Pari I can't believe this. I need ice cream. Chal" I say and she looks at me seeming lost and I drag her towards the gate.

What a great start to college. And to think that the whole year is gonna be just like this.

Viraj Singhania!! I wish you rot in hell! Ugh.

~•~•~•~•~•~•

Partners for the whole year.. ab kya?

Vote and comment if you like it. If I get more comments, I'll update the next chapter by Friday.. happy reading ily :)