Chapter 9

I go to the dance studio which is on the 5th floor at the extreme end and after taking a deep breath, enter inside.

Oh. My. God.

This studio is huge. Wow. It's like a hall. Almost the size of a hall.

In the front there is a small platform where there are these huge speakers. To my left is a wall sized mirror in front of which some boys are practicing. There are a lot of people in here, I don't know whom should I ask about the auditions.

"Excuse me" I call out to a girl who is warming up. She looks at me with a bored expression. "Um I'm here for the auditions. Who is the in-charge?" I ask her.

"1st year right?" She asks eyeing me up and down. I nod. "There that girl with the pink top" she says pointing towards a girl who is standing on the stage, talking with a guy, her back to me.

I say thank you and walk towards that girl. I'm literally sweating in this air conditioned room. Damn.

"Hey excuse me? Are you in-charge of the first year's dance auditions" I say standing behind her and she turns.

Oh. My. God. Again.

She's Viraj's girlfriend. Well ex girlfriend. I guess her name is Trisha. So she is a dancer too. Hmm..

"Yes I'm the in-charge" she says proudly and then suddenly frowns. "Wait.. you're Veer's friend right?" She says folding her hands and cocking her head.

"No we are just partners during class. He is not my friend" I say frowning. It's true actually. But why is she asking me about him?

"Yea whatever. So you wanna take part in the dance?"

No not at all. I'm here to play kabaddi. Duh!

I don't say that aloud obviously.

"Group dance" I tell her.

"For group dance, we have one salsa performance, one hip hop, and one bollywood item number. Come on show us some moves" she says raising an eyebrow.

Salsa, hip hop and item number?? Oh lord. I don't know these dance forms.

"Err.. I.. um. I don't know any of these dance forms. Is there something of Indian style?" I ask.

She scoffs and rolls her eyes.

"Bollywood toh indian style hi hai na" she says and I internally face palm myself.

"Dekho tumhe tumhare marzi ka kuch karna hai toh solo performance karo" she says and gives me a form. "Fill it up quick! We have to finalize everything today" she says and walks away.

Solo??? Solo??? No way.

But ab yaha tak aa gayi hu.. it's just 4 minutes on the stage. I've decided to make papa happy. So I'll just do it.

I can't believe I'm thinking about this. It's just that.. this studio is huge and I can't wait to dance here.

Okayyy... Lets do it!

I look at the form and start filling up the details. Name, birth date and stuff. At the bottom I've to write the dance form. I stare at the form for a good whole minute and finally write 'Kathak'.

I go and hand over the form to Trisha. "Here. I'll just grab my things from the locker and come for the audition in a minute" I say as I turn to leave.

"Hey wait up" she calls out and I stop to look at her.

"You wrote Kathak over here. Kathak, you mean the Bharatnatyam wala Kathak?" she asks with her eyes wide like she is talking to some retarded person.

"Actually, Kathak and Bharatnatyam are really different. But...."