16 ; same mistakes

Prescott Valley, Arizona

-

I woke up before Sam did, so I quietly snuck out of bed, careful not to wake him. My toes sank into my carpet as I walked through my bedroom. I turned on the shower and stepped inside, relaxing under the warm water.

After I had showered, I wrapped a towel around myself and walked back into my room. Sam was still asleep, and I couldn't help but feel bad for him. I was getting married; what happened didn't change that.

I sighed and walked to my closet. I found some clothes and my phone started to ring right as I pulled my shirt over my head. Sam stirred in the bed, and I rushed to answer the phone before it woke him up all the way.

"Hello?" I answer, watching as Sam's eyes slowly opened.

"Hey, babe." Kyle said. "How'd you sleep?"

"Great," I say, covering my almost-laugh with a cough. "How are things at the hospital?"

"Pretty good." he answers.

Sam sat up in bed and stared at me while I was on the phone.

"That's good." I say.

"Yeah," Kyle sighs. "Well, I just wanted to check in on you. I know how bored you get when I'm not home."

"I'm okay," I tell him. "Just waiting for you to get back, that's all."

"I'll be home tomorrow morning," he says. "Oh- they just paged me, I gotta go."

"Alright," I say. "I'll talk to you later."

"I love you," he says. "Bye."

"Mhmm," I hum, hanging up my phone.

I put my phone down and ran my fingers through my damp hair. I cracked my knuckles and Sam began to smile.

"You do that when you're nervous." Sam observes. "What's wrong?"

"I'm an awful person." I say, sitting on the corner of my bed. "I'm absolutely awful."

"That's not true," Sam says, shaking his head.

"Yes it is!" I argue. "I'm engaged, Sam!"

"Casey, I know-" he says, and I stop him.

"Do you?" I ask. "I'm getting married! To someone who loves me. I just screwed it all up!"

"But do you love him?" Sam asks, and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What?" I ask.

"You said you're getting married to someone who loves you." Sam explains. "But do you love him?"

I take a deep breath and look at Sam. "I don't know."

"Casey," Sam says, his expression falling when he sees a tear slide down my cheek. "Don't cry."