Chapter Fourteen-I Totally Chickened Out

I had yet to see Cassius and was beginning to hope that he wasn't here. Usually, I see him down the hall at his locker or he'd occasionally pass me as we are making our way to second period.

I just entered the ROTC room and was relieved to see Cassius's seat empty.

"Leah, I warned you not to get caught up with him. He'll rip your heart out without blinking." Anna gave me a stern look and I rolled my eyes.

"I know what I'm doing, Anna." I said, taking the seat next to her.

No, I don't, I thought helplessly.

"Fair warning. He's a jerk with no heart." She shrugged.

"I've dealt with guys worse than him." I waved my hand in the air like he was no problem.

No I haven't! I'm in a huge mess that needs to be cleaned up!

The bell rang, signaling class had started and a content smile pulled at my lips when I noticed Cassius's seat was empty.

I guess he got scared and didn't come today.

I giggle quietly and Anna gave me a side glance.

What am I doing? I have no foot to stand on. I was sitting here this morning dreading to go to school and hoping that Cassius wouldn't be here today!

Anna looked back at me and I shook my head. She raised her eyebrows before going back to listening to the Sergeant take roll.

"Alright, today we are doing drill. Get into a squad in the back of the room." He said, finishing roll.

We all got up from our seats and went to the back of them room, lining up sided by side.

Anna stood by me and we gave each other a smirk before the Sergeant commanded us to stand at attention.

I stood up straight, my hands curling into balls at the seam of my pants. My feet were at an angle so that they weren't completely touching but only my heels were.

"Right, face!" The Sergeant bellowed.

The squad moved in quick, snappy movements like we were supposed to. I was pretty surprised because the ROTC class in North Carolina could never be in sync. Someone always had to act like the class clown.

"Left, face!"

"Left, face!"

"Parade, rest!"

"Stand at ease!"

We looked at him with our hands held behind our back and our legs shoulder width apart.

"When I give the command, parade rest, you shouldn't be looking at me. You should be looking forward." He said.

The entrance door to the class room opened and in walked Cassius.

My mouth dropped open at the girl by his side.

Summer.

"Hey, Serg, just thought I'd have a little bit of time with uh, my new girlfriend." Cassius walked further in the room.

"Young lady, get to the office this instant, you can talk to Mr. Stevens and see what he thinks about the situation. Mr. Jackson you'll be in push-up position for the rest of class and then you'll go to Mr. Stevens as well." The Sergeant demanded and Summer left with a sneer and a sway of her hips.

A smirk played on Cassius's lips.

"Whatever you say, Serg." He dropped down into push-up position.

"You can stay after school and we'll have a talk, are we clear?" He ordered.

"Yes, sir." Cassius replied.

Cassius looked over at me and smirked again.

"You didn't obviously think I'd allow you to make me fall in love with you that easily, did you?" He said and I closed my still open mouth.

"No, I just thought you weren't that low to go after someone as selfish and bitchy as her." I replied before looking at the Sergeant.

"What did he just say?" Anna gasped quietly.

"Nothing." I said harshly.

I don't know why but I felt hurt by his actions.

No, you don't. He's a player and you know it. He'll break your heart without even blinking, just like Anna said. You're in deep shit and you need to get out of it before Jake finds out.

Hey guys, thank you so much for all the votes, they're greatly appreciated! Please comment and tell me what you think. I really would like to know if you guys like it and want me to continue:)