Chapter Five-The Perfect Stranger

The rest of JROTC was spent with the Sergeant talking about this fundraiser coming up and how there were people coming tomorrow for it.

After that, I had lunch next. Anna walked with me and I ended up meeting Claire on the way.

"Claire!" I called and she glanced over her shoulder.

When her eyes met mine, I waved her over.

"Hey!" Her eyes sparkled as she wormed her way over to us.

"Anna, always nice to see someone...familiar." Claire's voice sounded strained and her eyes looked guarded when she started at Anna..hard.

"Claire." Anna choked her name out giving her a curt nod.

I bit my lip. Looks like they already know each other and aren't exactly on good terms.

"Well, gosh, I'm starving. I think we should go eat." I try to spur them along and not have a cat fight in the hallway.

We make our way to the lunch room after being crammed shoulder to shoulder with kids who didn't know how to walk.

Jeez, I really hate kids these days.

The lunch room was packed, all the kids were talking loudly. I had to yell to be heard.

"Do you guys just want to go outside?" I yelled and they shook their heads.

"Sorry, that's only a senior privilege." Claire looked perturbed by that.

What? Seriously? God, I hate this school and it's damn rules.

"Is there anywhere we can go that's quiet?" I hollered.

"We could go to the library." Anna suggested and Claire made a face.

"No, I don't want to sit around with a bunch of librarians." Claire glared at her.

"Fine, it was just an idea. Plus, it's what Leah wants not what you want." Anna snapped.

"Whoa, guys. Calm it down. Let's just walk around the hallways." I said and we shoved our way out.

"So much for eating, I think I'll skip from now on." I shudder, not wanting to go back into that nightmare.

"Yeah, it's always hectic in there. The school staff never knows how to separate the students evenly into three groups. Lunch A, what we have, is the biggest. It's ridiculous." Anna spoke once we were walking down the hallway.

"Um, I have to go catch up on late work with one of my teachers, I'll see you later Leah." Claire excused herself and started walking the other direction.

I knew she was lying and just wanted to get away from Anna so I didn't call after her. I wonder what happened between them?

"Hey, I have to go to the bathroom real quick, can you wait a sec?" Anna asked as we came up to the restroom.

"Sure, I'll stay here outside the door." I smiled.

"Thanks." She said before slipping through the door.

I rested against the wall, tapping my hand against it. Today was crappy. Nothing was going the way I wanted it to, nor was it like I expected.

"Mrs. Colmes." A deep voice said and I turned to see him.

The boy from JROTC.

"Um, yes?" I asked, feeling a bit light headed.

What the hell? What is wrong with me? I've never felt this way before.

He walked closer until he was only arms length away.

"I'm Cassius, you can call me Cas." He said, a smirk tugging at his lips.

"Ok...Cas, what do you want?" I wondered.

What could he possibly want from me?

"I was just wondering if you'd want to hang out sometime?" He asked, shrugging.

"Ha, I see. You want me, a girl you just met, to hang out with you, the school's player? What do you think?" I said.

"So they've gotten to you already?" He snorts.

"If you mean "they" being your sister, then yes." I replied.

"My sister, huh? I'll have to talk to her. Anyway, there's this party tomorrow night at my house, you're invited." He told me.

"And what if I don't come? What reason do I have to come? I don't know you, you're a perfect stranger to me." I shrugged and he stepped closer, his smirk getting wider.

"Perfect? I think you've got one reason to come then: My good looks." He chuckled and then he began walking away.

"Cocky bastard." I muttered just as Anna came out from the bathroom.

Votes? Anyone? Comments?