Chapter One-The Unwanted Move To Kentucky

I scowled at the truck full of boxes. There was no reason why we had to leave, except for the fact that my parents wanted "new scenery". We had a lot of scenery back home in our backyard, called the woods (that they never went in).

They said it was a family vote and me being the only child, obviously lost. My parents knew it wasn't fair yet they called me down for the vote. Really? They were going to win because they both wanted to leave, why did I have to be involved?

My parents never did what I wanted to do. They never listened to my ideas. So what was the point?

"Leah, start carrying in boxes and stop scowling, it isn't going to magically change back into North Carolina." My mother walked out of the house.

Her short brown was pulled up into a ponytail as usual while she wore her favorite gray baggy shorts and one of dad's shirts.

"I don't like it here," I stated and she pursed her lips.

"You haven't even been anywhere. You don't know what there is, so how can you know if you like it," She said.

"I don't want to see anything that isn't home. That's how I know," I replied, my scowl deepening.

All my friends were back home and so was my boyfriend. My parents didn't even care that I was leaving them behind. They said, "Skype them".

Skype? Seriously? That isn't the same as face to face. How was I supposed to go to the movies with my friends of have sleep overs? How was I supposed to kiss my boyfriend or ride with him to school?

My parents don't understand anything.

I grudgingly picked up a box from the truck and moved towards the house. I stuck with the scowl, refusing to get rid of it.

"Oh, Leah, lighten up. You'll love it here." My father passed me as I walked to the stairs.

"I don't want to like this place. I won't, not ever. I want my boyfriend and friends back." I stared at him as he left the house with a sigh.

I huffed, marching up the stairs to the room I had chosen for myself.

The walls were red, and the room had two closets with a full sized bathroom. It was ok but it wasn't like my old room.

I sighed, lying the box on the floor beside my feet. I starred out the window, looking at the side of my neighbor's red brick house. Nice, that's the kind of scenery I get?

"Leah, come down here!" My father yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

"Coming," I replied.

I sighed again and walked down stairs, suddenly feeling tired and worn.

Why now? Why couldn't they have waited until I was finished high school? Why did they have to rip me from everything I loved back home? Why this crappy place?

I made my way to the living room, hearing someone shuffling around in there.

I saw my mom and she looked up at me.

"Where's dad?" I asked, not feeling like wondering around the house to look for him.

"He went back outside to get boxes," She answered and I find him back at the truck trying to move the couch out of it.

"Come help me, Leah," He said and I do.

I grab one end and lift it as he grabbed the other end and lifted it.

"I wanted to tell you that you'll be starting school tomorrow. You'll be going to Greenwood High School." He told me as we carried the couch into the house and to the living room.

"Tomorrow? Why did you tell me today? How am I supposed to get over the fact that we moved to a different state in one night?" I demanded, dropping my end of the couch to the floor.

"Oh, stop being so dramatic." My mother gave me a look.

"I'm not being dramatic mom, this is serious. This is ridiculous." I shook my head and started to walk away but my father called me back.

"You're not going to go to your room to sulk. Stay down here," He said, his eyebrows raised.

"I'm not going up to sulk, I'm going up to process that I only have about ten hours before I have to go to a different school. A school in the middle of the year where I'll have no friends, thanks to this stupid move." I snapped at him, my scowl returning.

I went to walk away again for a second time but my father stopped me once more.

"You're staying down here, Leah. We know you aren't happy with coming here but you'll get used to it. Give the place a couple of days and you'll adjust just fine," He said.

"I don't want to adjust. I want my home back." I responded.

"That's not happening, so get used to it." He finally snapped back and I went off to the room next to the living room.

He called after me but I refused to go back.