Chapter 11

Roel entered the dark hut on the outskirts of Hafrafell. The bones of humans and animals lay scattered throughout the dwellings, sacrifices to the Gods. He had come to the Seer with questions.

"The great Jarl has come for answers; his mind is weary with memories long forgotten."

The Seer spoke to some invisible force.

He sat behind a small table on the floor, his hideous face hidden in shadow.

" , I come for answers about a child,"

" Já, Já. The child who will bring about the prophecy. The Gods have spoken of an heir long lost. He will fulfill and bring about Den Danske lov. For centuries, our Ellris have tried expanding our great nation across England, and unite our two great people,"

"Could the Gods have chosen a girl?" Roel asked.

"Nei' Lowzow, the child is male. He will bear a mark, given to him at birth."

"Could you be wrong?"

"Nei," The Seer, cackled.

Roel stood, and left the hut in a hurry. He needed the girl; he had to see for himself. He perceived the Seer to be wrong, but he had to prove it.

Ragda had saved Aiya from his brother, but not without cost. Dagr felt cheated and in return had become angry, and resentful towards his brother.

He sat on the floor of the dark store room, a jug of ale in one hand and his battle ax in the other. He rested it on his knee, contemplating what he would do with it next. He had already driven the sharp blade into one of the many sacks of grain that resided in the room, spilling its contents all over the ground.

Ragda had always gotten what he wanted, a father, a future, women, and even an army of his own. Everything that he desired, Ragda had inherited. He had always been loyal, but now, his brother had gone too far. The girl was his; by law, Ragda had no right to take her for his own. He had gone to the Jarl to ask for the girl's release, behind Dagr's back, and once again Dagr was left with nothing but his obedience. He was done being the Roel and Ragda's peon, he would take his fate into his own hands, for he was sure the Gods would understand what he must do.

A loud banging came from the locked door, interrupting his somber ruminations.

"La Meg faen alene!" He slurred.

"Dag?" The voice answered.

He rose to his feet and stumbled to the door; unlocking it. The door opened and Ragda stood in the breach.

"Why are you sitting in the larder?"

"What do you want?"

"The Jarl is sending us to Hedeby, we leave now,"

"What awaits us in Hedeby?"

"It's for me to know, and you to follow, big brother," Ragda replied, an arrogant smile on his face. "Are you planning on using that?" He asked, nodding towards the ax that Dagr was clutching in his hand.

Dagr smiled drunkenly, 'not yet' he thought to himself, before setting it down on one of the shelves next to him. "I had missed the weight of the ax in my hand, that is all," He replied, before putting his arm around his brother's shoulder and walking out of the room.

"To Hedeby," He said.

"Good news, Dagr has been called away by the Jarl, some business in Hedeby,"

"What of Ragda? Has he gone as well?"