Chapter 25

For the first time in a long time, Aiya was at peace, she knew who she was and what she had to do. They had been sailing for five long days now since Ragda had caught up to them, she wanted to stay on the ship with him forever, but she fathomed they would reach the coast of England soon and that many things would change. The sky was dark now, the moon bright in the sky, reflecting off the black water and making it sparkle in the night. She stood on the deck overlooking the water, taking in the smells and the calmness that would never last. She felt Ragda come up behind her, his hand moved to the small of her back as he stood next to her.

"I still don't understand what we must do."

"Do you remember when you found me?"

"Yes."

"Before you and your brother attacked the shores of York, I had been sentenced to death by Lord Hemming," She said, mournfully, eyes closed. Noah's face flashed in her memories of that time.

"For what?"

"The Lord's wife had accused me of stealing, when I denied the charges, he tried to force himself on me and I struck him. He put me in the stocks, but Noah helped me escape."

"Noah's the boy Dagr always wondered about?" He touched her shoulder and turned her towards him.

"Yes. We tried to escape by the river, but your ships were there and Hemming's men caught us. Hemming killed Noah first for helping me, and that's when you attacked," she continued. "I wanted to die, I didn't care, but you saved me. Noah's last words to me were to fight and never stop, and that is what I have done. I've vowed to seek revenge on Hemming and all who follow him. That is why I must go back but I can't do it without you," She sighed. She never thought she would tell Ragda about Noah but the look of concern was genuine on his face.

"Did you love him?"

"Yes,"

Ragda sighed and turned to face the water again. "When I was a boy my people use to speak of the great Viking Heroes who raided in the West many years ago. The last time our people took York was with Ivar The Boneless and his Heathen Army. Have you heard the stories of the great Ragnar Lodbrok?"

She shook her head, no.

"He was the greatest hero of his time, he lead us into the west and to England. When he was killed, his son's sought revenge for their father and the people followed, thus creating the Great Heathen Army of Denmark and Norway. The army was lead by three of the Sons of Ragnar, Ivar, his brother's Halfdan, and Ubba. They failed the first time, Aiya, they had an army and they failed. How do you expect to succeed with half the power that Ivar had?"

"The Seer told me that I was in the favor of the God's,"

"How? You barely know the God's,"

"Because of my father and mother, whatever they started, the Gods want me to finish it," She smiled, "I believe more will come, if we ask, more will come, Ragda." She was calm in her demeanor.

"If it is the will of the God's, then surely more will come." He smiled back at her.

"I will have an army greater than Ivar's," She turned and kissed Ragda, "Now sleep, we have lots to plan for."

The End of Book I

Book II: Conqueror Queen