9~ Well This Is Awkward

“So what college are you going to?” Marcus asked as I stepped into his room.

“New York University.”

“Nice,” he said with a smile.

“Yeah.” I had no idea what to say to this kid. I knew nothing about him, and I had no idea what Cara knew about him either. “Um…What about you? Have you been accepted to any yet?”

“Yup,” he told me with another big grin. “Princeton.”

My eyes widened a bit.

“Wow,” I said. “What are you majoring in?”

“Computer science. Let me guess, yours is writing?” he assumed. I blinked, unsure how he knew that. Or how to respond.

“Um…yeah.”

He chuckled to himself and plopped down onto the chair by his desk.

“I knew you’d be a writer one day. Remember when we were little? You couldn’t read, so you used to take all your picture books and make up your own stories based off the images. It always fascinated me.”

“Oh,” I replied, unsure what to say. “Yeah,” I laughed it off. “I remember.”

He smiled, but it looked almost sad, and a small awkward silence passed. “I’m surprised you agreed to come over,” he admitted.

“Why?”

“I don’t know. Things have been weird between us ever since…you know…”

But I didn’t know. How the hell was I supposed to know whatever he was speaking about when Cara was keeping me in the dark about so many things I clearly needed to know? Information like this seems to be a vital part of her life, and even when I’m living her life I still feel like I know nothing about her.

“I’m sorry about that,” he continued. About what? “I hadn’t meant to freak you out.”

“Oh, no….it’s alright,” I said, struggling to seem like we were both on the same page here.

“Really?” he chuckled humorlessly. “Because you’ve been avoiding me ever since.”

“I…have? No, I haven’t,” I tried. He raised his eyebrows.

“I texted you the day after. And the day after that. Hey, I get it. I guess I got the wrong idea before.”

I really wish I knew what he was talking about so I wouldn’t fuck things up for Cara. But then again, this is what she gets for being so secretive about her life.

“You didn’t,” I told him. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

 I was starting to get a vague idea of whatever this kid did. Cara said he’d like her for a long time, right? He probably got some fucked up delusion in his head that she liked him back, and he probably did something to screw it up for himself. Maybe he tried to cop a feel or something. I don’t know. Cara doesn’t tell me these things. But whatever he did, Cara found him creepy for it, and she hasn’t supposedly talked to him since. Now, I could be completely wrong, but I was taking what I could get. And I was about to run with it.

“I didn’t?” he clarified.

“I wasn’t thinking right that day,” I told him, shaking my head. “I…had a lot on my mind. But you didn’t get the wrong idea.”

A small smile formed on his face, but it quickly disappeared. “So you just didn’t talk to me after that?”

“I thought it was…awkward.”

He nods and gets up from his chair, looking sort of at the floor. A long silence passed before he looked up at me and smiled.

“I wanna show you something.”

AUTHORS NOTE

its short! I'm sorry! Next chapter you will actually flip shit. WHAT DO YOU THINK MARCUS IS GONNA DO? Oh my gosh what do you think even happened between him and cara before?! so much MISTAREE. ermergerd. let me know what you think! and thanks so much for reading and keeping up with it even though I take years to update! xD sorry about that. I do love you to the moon and back tho c: x