04 | replaced

kim hyerin

" are y'all going to the fair?" daehwi asked while walking towards us, " i mean, we practically go together every year..."

" hey! are yalls going to the school fair?" woojin then came directly after him.

" nice timing, we were just talking about that, we go together every year and since it's your first year, let's make it special,"

" wait where's jihoon?" jinyoung asked.

" he was with me just now, then he left," i replied.

as if on cue, jihoon walked towards us with his tray of food is his hands.

" oh, let's meet outside our class's booth at the fair-"

" um..i've wanted to tell you guys this for while but nari already asked me..."

i felt my heart sink when i heard that. nari's the captain of the cheer squad and she was well known so it was normal for guys to be attracted to her.

" wow, kim nari asked you out? never thought that would happen," daehwi laughed.

" that's great," i fake smiled at him but he didn't seem to notice.

" jihoon-ah, do you wanna sit with me for lunch?" she ran up to him and pouted and i cringed. he looked at us guiltily then i nodded to him signalling him to go with her and he left.

" well, it's just the 4 of us tomorrow then..." i sighed and woojin knew something was up. i watched as they talked together and how happy jihoon looked. he never looked that happy while he was talking to me and i felt my heart break and tears were threatening to flow down.

" i just remembered i had to go somewhere, i'll see y'all in class later..." i grabbed my crutches and walked away, after awhile i felt a grip on my wrist, it was woojin.

" you are not okay, i'll bring you back to class..."

we walked back to class together and he sat down next to me, he hugged me tightly," it's okay, everything's gonna be okay," and i couldn't hold back the tears anymore.

" why...why did i even fall for him in the first place..."

" maybe it's just a misunderstanding?"

" i don't know, i really don't know..."

+

day by day, he stopped coming to our table for lunch and ended up sitting with nari, he didn't even walk home with me anymore. thankfully, woojin lived nearby and offered to walk me home. when i see them together, my heart hurts.

even at home, he still shares the same bed with me, but now there's a distinct line between us that apparently we weren't allowed to cross and its been ages since i've last had an actual conversation with him.

i felt so mean and selfish, i'm his best friend or was his best friend but i should be supporting him but why, why do i get angry when i see him with nari, why do i get sad when he smiles brighter with her, why did i wish that he would just leave her, why am i like this...

+

" yah, today's supposed to be fun stop being sad," he cupped my face in his hands and i smiled.

" that's more like it," and we walked hand in hand to meet daehwi and jinyoung. over the past few days when jihoon wasn't around, woojin was always there for me and i was really grateful for it.

" bae jinyoung! lee daehwi!" they turned their heads to our direction and ran towards us.

" what took you guys so long?" daehwi whined as usual," now all the queues have gotten long..." he pouted.

" well it wasn't my fault that woojin takes so long to get ready," i rolled my eyes and he stuck his tongue out at me. he's only been here for a few days and we're already as close as we were when we were younger.

" let's just go already! i want food," jinyoung sighed and pulled all of us to the nearest food stall.

+

" oi! stop!" i screamed and covered my face with my hands.

" i'm getting payback!" after getting food with daehwi and jinyoung, woojin and i wanted to get ice cream which led us to a messy ice cream fight.

" okay, let's stop," i giggled and rubbed off the ice cream on my face, he looked at me and laughed, " is there still ice cream on my face?" he leaned down towards me and pecked the corner of my lip.

" not anymore," he smiled at me and held my hand tightly, i knew my face was burning up but it was no use covering it up," you look so cute when you blush," he already saw it.

" oh look who we have here," i recognise that voice, kim nari.

🍘 edited