Chapter Thirteen

(Ashton's P.O.V.) 

"Ash, are you okay?" May asks as she walks into my bedroom. Bane whimpers and I put my hand on his head to try to calm him down. 

"It's okay, Bane. You're safe," I say, but he still starts to shake and gets off the bed to go hide downstairs. "What are you doing here?"

"I heard from Adam and Sam that you're back to your real self. I came over to see if it's true," she says and I roll my eyes. 

"Why does it matter? It doesn't change anything." May sits down on the corner of the bed and shakes her head. 

"It changes everything. You're learning to trust people and not assuming everyone is a bad person." 

I shrug and say, "Well, it's too late to fix the damage I've caused. I really fucked up this time, May."

"With who?" she asks. 

"The boy who got arrested with me. His name's Danny." She nods and I look away from her. "He's going to be broken into pieces soon and there's nothing I can do to help."

"Why not?" 

"Ace is back." I can tell May's heart stopped at my words. 

"Let me guess, he has Danny under his charming, good guy spell," she says and I nod. 

"Yep, the same one that I was under when I was sixteen." 

May shakes her head and mumbles, "I still don't know what fully happened. All I know is that Ace hurt you so much he took your heart with him when he left. Why won't you tell me?" 

"You would think I'm a moron," I say and she sighs. 

"Ash, you're my older brother. I would never think that." I bite my lip and sit up. 

"When we first started dating . . . he was the sweetest guy ever. He said he would treat me like the prince I am. He promised to never hurt me and I believed him. Even though I'm a year older than him, he took care of me as if he was. It was an amazing feeling." I look down at my sheets to see a tear fall on them. "I was broken inside from our parents' divorce. He helped build me up again. But then he started getting controlling. If I didn't introduce him to people as my boyfriend he would later say that I'm embarrassed by him, or that I'm hiding things from him. It was little things like that, that would set him off. He'd make me feel like I was the bad guy. Or that it was all my fault. Of course, I didn't notice it at the time. I was still under his spell." 

I can feel myself start to cry and May looks at me with sadness in her eyes. "Later on in our relationship, he started to verbally abuse me. Tell me I would never be good enough for anyone but him and the only love I'll ever get is his love. It hurt, but I believed him. Later on, he would apologize and tell me that he just wants what's best for me, or that he doesn't want to lose me. I accepted it because I felt that I needed him. He basically brainwashed me. Well, then he started to physically abuse me. I would do something that he didn't like and he would hit, punch, kick, slap, anything that he could do to hurt me in that moment he would do it. He would later apologize and word it so I feel bad. It was horrible. Then one day we were alone at his house and he decided to finally break me. He broke up with me, told me I'm just a waste of space, and that he just used me. He broke the necklace with our initials on it that I bought him in front of me and threw it at my face. I was so broken from it I shut down." 

"And that's why you don't want to waste your time with anyone. You feel like if Ace could seem like the nicest guy in the world, but then turn around and hurt you anyone could," May says softly. I wipe my eyes and nod. 

"I'm was a fucking idiot to think that, but I couldn't help it. I was scared. I still am. I don't want to go through that emotional trauma again," I say and wipe my eyes again. "God, I haven't cried since Mom died. You would think it shouldn't matter since it was an abusive relationship."

"It's okay to cry," May says and puts her hand on top of mine for support. "And it does matter. I've learned about abusive relationships in health class. You were clearly in love with the nice side of Ace. Even if that side was just a mask he put on."

"I don't know what I'm going to do, but I have to help Danny. I don't want him going through what I went through," I say. 

"Maybe he's changed?" May suggests and I roll my eyes. 

"People like him don't change. They promise they will, but go back to being the same person they were before." 

"We'll think of something. Don't worry." May squeezes my hand and I nod. 

(Danny's P.O.V.)

Ace left about fifteen minutes ago. I'm about to go tell Cindy that we're dating. Ace is right. I shouldn't hide him from anyone. "Cindy?" I say as I walk into her studio. 

"Yeah, Hun?" she asks as she puts her paintbrush down. 

"Ace, the guy I was with, he isn't just a friend. We're dating."

"I thought you just met him?" she asks. 

"We did, but I feel a connection with him. Also, he makes me feel happy. I just want to give it a chance," I say and Cindy nods. 

"I understand. I'll support you if he makes you happy. Just be careful, okay?" 

"I will. Thank you, Cindy," I say and hug her. She goes back to painting and I go into the living room. I get my phone out and see a few notifications. Three are for Ashton, so I ignore them and one is a text from Ace. It says to call him. 

"Hey, Danny," Ace says once he answers.

"Hey, you wanted me to call you?"

"Yeah, did you tell Cindy?" Ace asks. 

"Yes," I say. "She supports us."

"That's good. I really like you, Danny. I just don't want anyone to tear us apart."

"I really like you, too," I say and smile. 

"Oh, and make sure you don't wait so long to call me back next time. I was so worried," he says and I nod even though he can't see it. 

"I'm sorry. I forgot my phone was on silent so I didn't hear it." 

"That's okay. I have to go. I'll text you," he says.

"Okay, bye." He hangs up and I sit down on the couch. I'm happy to have someone in my life that cares for me so much. Brad runs up to me and sits on the floor in front of me so I can pet him. He licks my hand and I smile. This will be a new start of happiness for me.

*This chapter brings a lot of light to why Ashton is the way he is. Too bad poor Danny won't believe him. I hope you guys like this! Votes, comments, and shares make me smile! Tell me what you think of the story so far. Thanks! c:*