Chapter Ten

(Danny's P.O.V.)

"Oh! How about this color?" Cindy asks as she picks up the tube of paint. She decided we should go out today and try to recover from what happened yesterday. 

"It's kind of dark for an ocean." Cindy rolls her eyes at my response and puts it in the basket. 

"You're only thinking about the top of the ocean. I'm painting layers, Danny. The farther you go down, the darker the ocean gets. It needs to be realistic." 

I nod and say, "Right, forgot that you have skills like Picasso and I have the skills of a fourth grader." 

She laughs and puts her hand on my shoulder. "Don't put yourself so low on the board. You're at least at a fifth-grade level." I roll my eyes playfully and laugh. "Besides, we all have to start somewhere." 

"True." She goes back to looking at more paint and brushes and I look around to see if anything in this art store interests me.

"I'm going to look around a bit," I say. 

"Alright. I'll text you when I'm done." I nod and walk over to the figurines you can buy to paint. I look at them for a little bit and then go over to the photography section. As I walk over to it I start to hear people talking. Wait, I recognize that voice.

"So, Ashton, how did you manage to break your camera?" I hear Adam say. My eyes widen and I quickly hide in a different aisle where I can still hear them. 

"I was taking pictures of some flowers in my garden and it dropped." I finally decided to try and sneak away so they won't see me, but my phone rings and all their eyes land on me. 

"Shit," I whisper to myself. 

Ashton smirks at me before walking up to me slowly and I glare. "Look at what we have here," he says. 

"Leave me alone," I say and start walking away. 

"Aw, why so rude?" I stop and clench my fists to keep from turning around and punching him. Don't want to get thrown in jail again. 

"You fucked up my life and lied about it!" I yell and some other customers turn to look at us. I don't care. I want Ashton to know what he has done. 

"I didn't fuck your like up. It was like that before you met me." He shrugs and I go to tackle him, not caring about being arrested, but someone holds me back.

"Danny, do not let him push you! He's not worth it," Cindy says to try and calm me down. I turn to Cindy and wipe the tears from my eyes, but they just keep falling. 

"He ruined me! He got me kicked out of my house! My sister won't even talk to me! It's all his fault, but that doesn't matter apparently just because he's a famous douchebag!" I sob. The people around me are giving me looks of pity. 

Cindy puts her hands on my shoulders and looks me in the eyes before calmly saying, "Hun, people like him are fighting their own battles, too. They take it out on people and pretend to be tough shit but in reality, are hurting just as much as you. You have to learn both sides of the story. I'm not saying that to give him an excuse because there is none. Just remember there is always a reason why people treat others like crap."

I feel my lip quivering as I try to hold back a sob. Ashton starts clapping his hands and says, "That was a beautiful speech, but I'm afraid you're wrong. Nothing is wrong with me. I'm just better than most people."

Cindy grabs her bag and my hand and pulls me out of the store. "Danny, just stay away from him. He has clearly just let the fame go to his head." 

I wipe my eyes and say, "You're right. Let's go home." As we walk home I get my phone out to see a missed call. My heart stops when I see Mitch's name on my missed call list. "What?" I whisper and stop walking. 

"What's wrong?" Cindy asks and I show her. "Try calling it back. Maybe someone has his number now and accidentally called you."

I shakily put my phone up to my ear and hear it ring. "Danny!" 

"Melany?" I say confused. 

"Oh, my God! I'm so happy you answered! Mom has my phone and I didn't have any other choice but to use Mitch's. I'm sorry if I freaked you out." 

"No . . . I-I'm just happy to hear your voice." I start to cry again and Cindy puts her hand on my shoulder. 

"I love you, Danny. Please keep safe. I have to go. Mom is getting out of her car," she says and hangs up before I have a chance to say that I love her, too. I put my phone in my pocket and Cindy and I start walking home silently. 

(Ashton's P.O.V.)

"How did she know?" I whisper to myself as I lay in my bed with Bane at my feet. No one has even guessed that there might be something wrong in my life. It doesn't matter, though. I'm not going to waste my time getting help when it could happen again. Besides, it's easier to get people to hate you than like you. Like I said before, you can't get a broken heart if you don't have one. 

Then why did I suddenly feel a little guilty when Danny told me he was kicked out? Of course, I didn't let it show. It can't be all my fault. Danny is the one who broke his parents' rules and came to see me. 

But he came to see me because I was a role model to him. Just like the homeless boy. "Fuck," I mumble and sit up. "I killed a person. I took a fucking life. I've had all this time to fix the situation, but instead I'm making more people feel like shit. What have I done?" 

I put my face in my hands and groan. "I fucked up big time. I don't know how to make this right, but I have to figure out something." 

*I'm sorry for the short chapters. I just think this is a good place to end this here. Also, guys, I have so much planned for this story. Please vote, comment, and share with anyone you think would like it! This is in the #Wattys2017 and it would mean so much if you guys help me with that. The votes and comments make me smile, too. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thanks! c:*