Chapter Sixteen

(Danny's P.O.V.)

"I had a great time with you tonight, Babe," Ace says as he walks me to my door. 

"I did, too." I lean up and kiss him. "I'll see you later, Ace," I say. 

"Bye, call me if you need anything." He pecks my cheek before walking away. I smile and go inside to see Cindy sitting on the couch. She's dressed in a black strapless dress and her hair is done. 

"I thought you were revealing your mural?" I say as I walk over to her. 

"I did," she says. "I just left early because I didn't want to be in a room full of people I don't know. That's why I asked you to go."

"Cindy, I'm so sorry. It's just that Ace didn't want to go. I asked him when we were having dinner if we could and he said he just wanted to hang out with me."

Cindy shakes her head and says, "It's fine. Just stop letting him control you."

"He's not controlling me," I say. "He wants to keep me from getting hurt." 

"Danny, he's taking you away from me. How is that keeping you from getting hurt? I took you in and I would never harm you in any way. He's the one who's going to hurt you. I can feel it." 

"He knows what's best for me! God, you sound just like Ashton. He would never do that to me," I say. 

"Wait, what did Ashton say?" she asks. 

"Nothing. I'm going out." I start to walk away and Cindy grabs my shoulder. 

"No, tell me what he said," she demands. I pull away from her and walk out the door. I'm not going to let Cindy or Ashton ruin my relationship. Ace will protect me and that's all I need.

As I'm walking, I hear two girls talking about Ashton. "I can't believe he just gave up everything. I'm happy that he told us the truth, but he just risked losing his fame," one of them says. I stop walking so I can listen to their conversation. 

"I'm still going to support him. Like he said, he just wants to make things right and I believe that he will. Everyone deserves a second chance." I get my phone and earbuds out and go to Ashton's Facebook. I see he uploaded a video and I start to watch it. As soon as he starts talking I can tell something is off. He's not as energetic as usual.

All of a sudden my earbuds are ripped out of my ears and my phone is snatched out of my hands. "What the f-" I stop when I see Ace glaring at me. 

"Yeah, what the fuck, Danny? Why are you watching that piece of shit?!" he yells. Some people turn to look at us, so he pulls me into an alleyway where no one will see us. 

"Ace, I can explain." 

"No, I told you to forget about him! Why won't you listen?!" he yells. 

"I just wanted to see what those girls were talking about!" I defend myself. 

"Who cares?! I'm your boyfriend! You shouldn't care about Ashton! He's a liar and fucks with people!" 

"I'm so-" I'm cut off when Ace slaps me. I feel my eyes fill up with tears and I touch my cheek with my shaky hand. "You . . . you hit me." 

Ace's eyes soften and he steps closer to me and I step back. "Oh, Danny, I'm so sorry. I just don't want to lose you. If Ashton takes you away I would never forgive myself." 

I shake my head and yell, "No! I'm not falling for that! Everyone was right about you!" 

He rolls his eyes and crosses his arms. Then he smirks and chuckles before saying, "Oh, poor Danny. You're smarter than you look. But not smart enough. You turned away from your only friend for me. Do you really think she's going to forgive you?" I bite my lip. "The answer is no. Besides, you'll be easy to forget. Everyone else has forgotten about you. Plus, you're just a loser. A nobody. Your own parents hate you. I mean who wouldn't?"

"Shut up," I say with tears running down my face. 

"Don't you see, Danny? You're only useful when someone wants to use you. Other than that you're a waste of space." Ace laughs before walking out of the alley. "Bye, Danny. See you on the news when you decide to finally make the right choice." He turns the corner and I lean back against the wall. I know he was talking about me killing myself. 

I put my face in my hands and start to cry. I have nowhere to go. I betrayed Cindy. She hates me. I know she does. Everyone should hate me. I'm just a moron.

I sniffle and get up before walking to the only place I can think of.

(Ashton's P.O.V.)

It's been awhile since I uploaded that video. I still haven't turned my phone back on. Right now I'm getting Bane ready to take him for a walk. He has improved so much since I adopted him, so I just want to test him to see how he'll react to being on a leash with me outside. "Bane, come here boy!" I call and he walks over to me. I show him the leash and see his tail go between his legs. He starts to shake and backs away from me.

"You're okay, buddy. I'm not going to hurt you. We're just going for a walk." I realize he doesn't know what that means. Wait, I'm an idiot. The animal rescuers found Bane tied to a pole out back in some trashed house and it was practically choking him. 

I sigh and kneel down before throwing the leash onto the table. "Bane, you can trust me. You know I won't hurt you." He whimpers and his tail starts to wag his tail while slowly walking up to me. 

Then someone knocks on the door and he runs into the kitchen. I sigh and get up to answer it. It's probably just Adam or Sam since I told them I need to talk to them. "I told you guys to just walk in wh-" I stop talking when I open the door to see Danny standing there. How he found my house, I don't know, but that doesn't matter right now. He's crying and holding himself while looking at the ground. "Danny?"

"Y-You . . . you were right," he sobs. He steps closer to me and looks up. His eyes are bloodshot and filled with tears and he's shaking from crying so hard. "I'm a fucking idiot for not seeing it sooner. I deserve all the torment and abuse he put me through." 

I feel my heart break from his words. I pull him into a tight hug and he starts to cry really hard into my shoulder. I hush him and rock back and forth to try to calm him down. "It's okay. No one deserves what he put you through," I whisper. 

As much as I hoped this wouldn't, I knew it would happen sooner or later. I continue to hold Danny and try to comfort him while we stand on my porch. 

*I don't know how I feel about this one. Tell me what you guys think in the comments! Votes and shares are appreciated since this is in the #Wattys2017! Plus, they always make me smile! c: Happy Fourth of July! Thanks!*