Capitolo Due.

{THE FIRST FEW CHAPTERS WILL GO BY FAST}

Kevin Costner as Andre Carlton

~

Finally With You: Capitolo Due

{THREE YEARS EARLIER}

It had been the greatest time of my life in 2014. My son Micah was getting ready to enter his dream job as a nurse and my wife Xiomara and I were getting ready to celebrate our 14th anniversary. Nothing could be better. I had the perfect family, the perfect job, the perfect life. I had everything and I was so happy that I did. "I have a feeling today's meeting is going to suck." I smirked at the voice behind me as I turned to face the owner. "Why is that?" I raised an eyebrow at my fellow friend. "Because it's common sense. It's common knowledge on what to do if you were in a situation like this." I watched my friend pull her long brown hair into a bun on the top of her head. 

"Holly, we know but it's not up to us to decide that." I ignored her scowl as I looked away from her to face the incoming crowd of officers and generals that were coming to talk about the update of the attack against Manhattan. My best friend Holly Beckman turned to me with a sigh of annoyance, placing her hat back on her head, saluting me. "Good day." She rolled her eyes and walked away to go attend the weekly meeting. I shook my head in amusement as I walked to follow behind her. I was only a colonel and my dream was to become a general, THE general. It was by far the longest shot I would have to make but I had enough time. I was just happy with the fact that I had some sort of intelligent and the ability to act in situations. Most of the candidates here didn't. 

I wanted to see what their plan would be. The one general I knew was overseeing it, so I wanted to know what his thought process would be because he was the type of person to act first and then think later without being aware of the consequences. I wasn't going to sit in on the meeting, no, but I was just going to stand outside of the room. There was no need for me to be there when my opinion wasn't needed. I waited until the meeting was adjourned and comrades started to pile out of the room, yelling "sir" with their salute to call their leave.

"Colonel, what do you think?" I tilted my head up as my higher up supervisor looked at me, running a hand through his blonde hair as we stood on the balcony of the base, admiring the scenery of Fort Hamilton. "I mean, while I know you're just a colonel and while it is not up to you to decide the operations, I still value your opinion." He grinned at me and I nodded, knowing it wouldn't hurt if I gave my two cents. "Sir, I think we should try to drive out the opposing force instead of attacking first hand." I stated with a small smile and he raised an eyebrow. "Why is that?" He asked and I sighed.

"Well since they're carrying such a lethal bomb, I'm afraid that if we attack with our forces here, the bomb might go off and it'll spread through Brooklyn, Manhattan and New York City, affecting the majority of the civilians. What would be the point of having a military base here if we can't protect the city?" I explained with a casual shrug, watching him stare at me in thought. "Hm, you might have a point there Colonel." He patted me on the back with a wink as he walked off. I stared at his retreating back in confusion, wondering why he would ask me such a thing when he's never valued my opinion before on anything. I sighed, shaking my head as I turned to look back at the scenery, wishing my family were here.

I'll never understand a man like General Andre Carlton.

He's been here for over 30 years and yet, he's the type of person to act on his own demands and thoughts, not anyone else's. It's a little appalling and weird that he just suddenly asked me for my opinion when he's never asked me about anything else. I don't talk much to him because he's a higher up officer. I have no need to speak to him unless it is to get orders. Also, rumor has it that he has an estranged son whom he never talks to at all. I'm a little curious on why, seeing that that was his only family left. I heard all of the rumors that he had disowned his son for some reason.