Goodbye, Hello

May 2017

It's been three days since that eventful day, and nothing significant has taken place.

I cannot believe I was even counting down the days.

The fact that I minded his message so much bothered me.

As I pack my laptop and prepare to leave the office, a sudden vibration in the right pocket of my blazer caused me to jump. Fumbling about, it took me exactly three seconds before I finally steadied myself to answer the call. And yes, it was purely my intention to avoid checking the caller screen. That was a new habit which I had instilled in myself since three days ago.

"Yeoboseyo (hello)?" I answered carefully as I walked up to the pantry.

"Annyeonghaseyo, is this Moon Hyeyeon-sshi?"

My voice sank, "Yes. May I know who this is?"

"This is the production team from Ghost The Musical," the voice on the other line responded.

As it wasn't the caller I had hoped for, my first assumption was that it was just another cold call from the bank. I almost slurred on my tongue to end the conversation curtly until it hit me, "Yes, thank you but... WAIT WHAAAAT?"

A few of the employees stood on their feet with their eyes expanded towards the pantry.

"We are calling to congratulate you on passing the preliminary auditions."

I placed my hands over my widened mouth, unable to fully process what was happening.

"Please join us for a second round of audition on next Sunday. We will be emailing you the exact details."

I nodded furiously without a word.

"Hello? Do you hear me or is the line breaking?"

"I'm so sorry, I'm just so shocked that I was left... speechless..." I stuttered, "Thank you so, so much!"

As I hung up the phone, I leaned back towards the wall and slid all the way done to a squatting position. My legs were too weak to stand on their own.

My musical dream... is finally on its way to be realized! One baby step at a time now, there's still more to go.

My phone rang once again, and once again I rushed to answer the call without bothering to look at the number. My first short-lived thought: the production team was calling to take back whatever they have said, with the excuse that they had called the wrong person.

"Yeoboseyo?" I spoke up hastily.

"Wow, you picked up in less than a ring," the voice on the other end chuckled.

My eyebrows twitched. Distancing the phone from my ear, my eyes scanned for the incoming phone number.

Crap.

It was the caller I had been counting down the days for.

Sliding my phone back to my ear, I stated as calmly as I could, "It's not what you're thinking."

"And what am I thinking about, exactly?" He was sly in his reply.

That you may think I've been waiting for your call, for forever.

"Never mind that," I tried to change the topic and it sounded as awkward as I could have imagined it, "How's... life?"

He didn't readily give his answer. I could hear his breathing on the other side, before he spoke, "I never actually thought I'll be saying this, but the deities have been very kind to me lately. I've also really missed having you around, you know."