How to Make An Impression

End July 2017

(Hyungsik's Narrative)

"Tell us, how is it like working with Park Hyungsik?"

Hearing the same question from a different reporter for the third time, I clenched my fist under the long table draped with linen of crimson red. The hotel conference hall was filled with reporters and cameramen pouring interest towards the cast, thanks to the production's marketing team.

While I had been excited to promote the musical for its overall plot, music and other fantastic casts, I was once again bombarded with questions that stemmed from the press' obsession with the trendy star. They chased after whatever was popular and rode on that high, and for this hour, I happened to be it. To be honest, I wasn't too fond of it, much less jaded by it. Knowing what it's like to be unnoticed over a long period of time, I was fully aware of how quick popularity could come and go, no different to a morning's dew, and what stays with the person is talent and the hard work of nurturing it. To ease my mind over the burden of being in the industry, that's exactly what I tell myself each passing day.

Turning my face towards So-hee sshi on my left, I folded my lower lips until I felt the sharp graze of my teeth above it.

"Hyungsik-sshi is such a charming actor. It's understandable why he is so well liked. Just like the others said, his face is really small and he comes off very good looking. He's also tall, so it's really easy to spot him from afar. I know that our Choi PD-nim easily spotted him from the crowd and used it to his advantage," her hands came up to cover her nose and lips as she laughed, joined by the others on and off stage.

Her response elicited an embarrassed shaking of my head, and a streak of camera flashes followed.

The MC of the press conference, Park Seulgi, was quick to insert her own remarks after observing Nayoung and So-hee's responses. "Park Hyungsik-sshi really does have a small and handsome face, it's very charming indeed. How about the other two actors playing Sam?"

The other two actors playing Sam, were full-time musical actors who were in actual fact, hyungs (elder brother) and sunbaenims (senior). Jungwoo hyung, in his early thirties and Sangmin hyung, in his mid-thirties, proceeded to make V-line faces with their clasped hands below their chin, drawing more laughter from the ladies on the stage.

"Oh, they have small charming faces too, right now!" MC Park didn't miss the timing, and declared so at the top of her lungs.

"Oh kiyeopta (that's cute)!... Jungwoo sunbaenim and Sangmin sunbaenim were both very helpful and honest. They have a different kind of charm, and I enjoyed working with them," So-hee sshi added delightedly.

"Alright, can we have the next question from the floor?"

At least ten reporters had their hands up in the air, impregnated with unanswered questions.

"The female reporter in white mandarin collar shirt, you may ask your question. As usual, first let us know who is your question for."

Reaching out to the microphone stand, she lowered the stand before speaking, "My question is for Park Hyungsik-sshi."

Leaning forward, I planted my folded arms on the table's edge with a nod, hoping for it to be a good one.

"Is there a specific reason on why you chose to return with a musical stage? I'm sure many are curious as your k-drama career is really beginning to take off."

I hummed lightly on the microphone before putting down my two cents, "I've always enjoyed myself on a musical stage, because it offers a different thrill to television. Everything happens at one go and with a live stage, you can't re-do a scene if you don't like it. It's charming that way. A musical stage is also where music and acting go hand-in-hand, and personally I like both, so it fits me perfectly. The offer to do this project came early this year, in the midst of filming Strong Woman Do Bong Soon. When filming was over, this project was still etched on my mind, and that's why I decided to follow my instincts to do it."