Out in the Open, Part II

Early August 2017

(Hyungsik's Narrative)

A series of vulgarities flew right out of my mouth, and I found myself stomping my feet on the ground in outright frustration. Hearing the President's words just before the line went dead filled me with every kind of wrath, and it did not sit well with me at all. Things were getting out of hand, and they were getting out of hand, quickly.

With my heavy breathing, Ms. Ellen, who was right beside me, rose from her cushioned seat to meet me at eye level. Her voice was coarse as she noticed the change in my temperament. She called out, "Hyungsik-ah?"

At the long and quiet VIP boarding gate, with only Ms. Ellen and I, our security team, and the airport authorities in view, I knew that my swearing had been far from discreet. But it was the least of my concern.

"Hyungsik-ah?" Ms. Ellen repeated herself when I did not answer, "Tell me, what's going on, please."

I fought back the tears that were threatening to spill, as a lump formed in my coarse throat. I would give anything, no, everything in the world, just to shield Hyeyeon from having to hear those nasty words from the President. I had indirectly become the cause of Hyeyeon's hurt, and now, it is about to cost her her future in the industry. To be honest, I hadn't expected that card to be thrown out so early in the game, and I had felt optimistic about being able to keep our private lives private through the run of the musical. Now that it has happened at this given time, I felt unprepared; lacking even. I felt the need to strategize a way out for Hyeyeon, but the amygdala of my grey matter was secreting more emotion than I've ever felt in such a short span of time, obstructing my logical thought process at best.

I shot a weary look towards Ms. Ellen, "Hyeyeon called. She did not get to say anything, but it seems she's already kept hidden from the public for the time being. The production team has just stormed into her room, and all I heard before the line got cut off was...," I choked as the words came out of my mouth, "They're... they're demanding for Hyeyeon to leave the set."

Calmly, Ms. Ellen reiterated my statement, "They're asking her to leave for good?"

My back was hunched when I offered a nod.

"Everything is unraveling so quickly," I heard her utter. Her two hands massaged her temple, briefly, and she wore a grave expression on her face. Though this isn't the first time for her to handle something of this magnitude, nevertheless, it was important for her to do what's best for her artiste without compromising her professionalism.

"Hyungsik-ah, are you sure about putting the confirmation statement? As you can see, the sole victim of this entire catastrophe will be Hyeyeon. The tabloids will potentially make a fuss and screw the both of you, but you'll overcome this with a few months of silence. Things, however, won't be as smooth sailing for her, for a long, long time."

I ran my hands through my hair over and over again, desperate for the right answer to all of this. I lined my nose and lips with my palms stuck together, as if in a praying pose, "It's the right thing to do. If I deny, the press will find out soon enough, anyway. They leave no stone unturned. The impact will be worse for her, then."

"Is this a love that is worth your everything?"

Ms. Ellen's words were sharp but its tone was not filled with ill-intentions. I know that she was looking to make sure I was not out of my mind, spitting my words out of insanity, and two-hundred percent sure about the consequences which may follow.

I thought hard about what I wanted to say. I shivered, "Hyeyeon... is not just a lover to me, Park sajangnim.

Ms. Ellen did not interrupt my silence following my statement. Instead, I found her eyes to be filled with patience, as she waited for me to pick up where I left off.