Curtain Call

End July 2017

(Seoul Musical Theatre)

As the thick crimson-red curtains part for one last time tonight, the cast and crew of Ghost the Musical graced the stage, character by character. The refrain to Here Right Now played in the background as the theme, livening the farewell atmosphere.

Naturally, Sam and Molly were the last pair to greet the audience.

Hyungsik stood at the standby area by the right wing of the stage, while I stood by the left. As we waited for our cue, a junior make-up artist attended to me despite my repetitive rejections. She would not take no for an answer, and persistently waited for me to give in, until I found myself swamped by a team of make-up artists crowding around me two minutes later.

Even as I was getting my make-up fixed, I could feel him staring. I would be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying his admiration from afar.

When all the casts have gone out to greet the audience, we knew it was our turn, finally. The both of us met halfway in the middle of the stage, and when Hyungsik extended his left hand, the pleasure was all mine to receive it. We marched forward together, passing the rest of the cast who stood by the side of the stage, until we came to the front of the platform, greeting the audience that had been cheering wildly. Most of the screams were of the feminine key, and I had no doubt in my mind that the praises were all meant for the man on my right.

As was customs for the curtain call, Hyungsik and I both took individual turns for a bow before the crowd. Next, we were joined by the rest of the cast, as we gave a resounding round of applause towards Mr. Choi, our director, who first breathed life into tonight's performance. Without fail, he beamed with joy at all of us, every night after the performance. He must be a happy man, considering how things were working out.

We waved our goodbyes to the crowd, and I could not keep my smiling eyes away from my parents, who sat on the fifth row, along with Hyewon unnie and her husband. Just then, the stage lights started to dim, and the rhythmic backdrop dwindled. The rest of the casts withdrew at that moment, leaving Sam and Molly behind to fill the center stage. The spot lights above us circled, deep purple and deep blue illuminating our shadow as we come into a slow embrace.

I could hear a sharp intake of breath from the crowd, especially from Hyungsik's fans, as he placed his hands on my lower back, pulling me closer towards him. My eyes saw nothing but his, and my hands crept up to find its resting spot just above his chest. Following the scriptwriter's intentions, we shared a long but thin kiss as Sam and Molly when one of Hyungsik's hand clasped onto my neck, until the curtain finally drew to a close. The screams, overshadowed by a flourishing applause from the older viewers, linger on, even though the show was officially over. Even though they could no longer see us on the stage, Hyungsik and I stood unmoved from where we were, breathing still heavy from the breathy brush of our lips.

"I need to get going," Hyungsik uttered softly but reluctantly, "That way, the fans won't stay on for too long."

I nodded, fully aware of the state we were in. "Geurae, don't make them wait too long out there."

After every musical performance, Hyungsik would personally greet his fans at the outdoor foyer before leaving the location in his vehicle. Hyungsik had started this tradition long ago from the days of his very first musical, Temptation of Wolves, and managed to keep up with it, even today. Most of his female fans would only depart from the location once they have seen Hyungsik saying his thanks and goodbyes in the flesh, and he was well aware of the implications that followed if he were to delay his greetings any longer.

"Najunge jeonhwahalge (I'll call you later)," Hyungsik reassured with a squeeze on my palm.

I nodded again, this time with a smirk on my face, "You better."