Getaway, Part I

November 2017

(Incheon Airport, Seoul)

"I CANNOT believe they made you do that!!"

The excitement from the news traveled through my entire body, jolting me out of the seat in seconds. An incredulous laughter came out from the black face mask over my mouth, and my impromptu demeanor must have been a sight to fancy in a crowded but calm boarding gate.

Lowering my gaze, I looked down at my sneakers, cutting off eye contact from the handful of passengers who had been paying close attention.

"I'm serious, Hyeyeon. I wore a locally sewn Hwarang outfit and recited my lines with a fan, and I've got the videos to prove it. They were the sweetest fans though."

His chuckles were transmitted like music to my ears, effortlessly pulling the edges of my lips. "Aww, I'm glad you had fun. You must be enjoying the fan meetings. Lucky you."   

He let out a satisfying breath, "I am. And I know that too. I thank my lucky stars every day... For the fans, for my job, for my family... and then there's you." 

Tightening my grip on the body of my phone, I wondered if my heart would really stop beating if he kept putting forth such words.

Crossing my arms, I dragged my feet to the front and to the back, lightly. "What about me?"

"You...," He muffled a chuckle before coming to an immediate conclusion, "I'll tell you when I see you back in Seoul. It's uh... it's not something I can possibly just describe with words."

My breath hitched almost immediately, thrown off by his unexpected carnal thoughts. "What a tease you are, Park Hyungsik-sshi."

His lengthy sigh was killing me slowly. "Gah... Two more days until I see your beautiful face. Nan otteoke? (What do I do with myself?) It's times like these that I wish I have a time-travelling ability. Just one jump, and I'd be right next to you."  

"This isn't any easier for me, Sik," I bit my lips, not even recalling when was the last time I was self-sufficient. When I was in charge of my happiness. When I was the captain of my own soul. With Hyungsik back in my life, a phenomenon I've never known before occurred: my heart just naturally ached and longed to be with him. There's a missing piece to the puzzle without him around. And how I felt exactly could be summed up simply like this, "It feels empty without you here. Bogoshipeoyo (I miss you)."  

"Ahh, I miss you too love. I heard the weather in Seoul has started to turn a little chilly? Please dress warmly. I don't want you to catch a cold... since I'm not there to keep you warm."

"I'm keeping myself warm alright," I smiled as the boarding gate opened, but not before saying an unending goodbye to him, as neither of us were willing to be the first to end the call.

And to keep myself warm, I was heading towards the island filled with sunshine, and where I'd get his warm hugs over and over again.

I'll be there in a bit, I promise. Don't blink, or you'll miss me.

>>><<<

(Ticao Island, The Philippines)

(Hyungsik's Narrative)

Under the shelter of the coconut trees, I let out a long sigh as I placed my arms above my head, exhaustion fueling my state of mind.

Taking a sip of his Moscow Mule, my manager hyung smacked his full lips at the taste of the refreshing drink. Settling down next to me, he passed me a copper mug wordlessly, already knowing me like the back of his hand.