Chapter 4: Amenhotep

I felt terrible. I landed Nefertiti in a lot of trouble. I myself was not truly worried Thutmose would injure me. We both knew I would never murder him to take the throne just as we both knew I did not want the throne even had I been able to have it.

I worried for Nefertiti though because after this, I could not believe that he trusted her, and now that he knew the truth, I suspected that he would attempt to break her. My brother was stubborn, and he got his way much of the time.

I went to look for my sister, Sitamun, because I knew she would understand how I was feeling. Instead, I ended up hearing a conversation I should never have heard. I had to pass my mother’s chambers to check for Sitamun in her chambers, and I heard Thutmose’s voice.

“Mother, I think we both know the truth about Nefertiti’s loyalties. We’ve known for a long time that she does not love me, and now we know for sure that she is in love with Amenhotep.”

My mother’s voice was languid as she replied. “And what would you have me to do about it, Thutmose? You cannot possibly believe that you can force the girl to love you instead?”

She must have seen the look in his eyes because she sighed and said, “Carry on, Thutmose. I take it you have some plan for fixing the issue?”

I frowned. Thutmose? Have a plan? My brother had never seemed cunning before, and he had never seemed the scheming type either. True, he was smart, but his planning skills had never been obvious before. I worried that I had underestimated him. If I had, then Nefertiti was in much more trouble than I ever imagined.

“I want you to allow me to do whatever I believe is necessary to break her will. I will not kill her, that I promise, and I will not do any lasting damage to her physical appearance. Obviously that could be harmful to her health, and I think we both would like it if my Great Wife could bear an heir to the throne.” Thutmose’s voice was cold and distant as it was when he was angry.

“Very well, Thutmose. Just be sure you do as you have said you would. You may not injure her in any physical ways. I will interfere if you do.” My mother warned.

“Your word is my command, Mother. I will not harm her physically. However, I hardly think it matters if I break her to the point that she will never fight either of us again.” He paused then added, “But, I would prefer not to damage her mentality and spirit too much. I like the challenge of subduing her to my will. It is almost like a hunt.”

I could almost see the predatory smile that my brother would probably be grinning right now. I felt sick. How could he speak of this matter so glibly? How could he even think of taming Nefertiti that way? Worst yet, I had no idea what he would do to her to achieve his goal, and that made me feel even sicker.

“Very well, my son. But really...” My mother purred, “You need not worry too much about breaking her entirely. If that is what you must do, then do it. I would like it if your Nefertiti would obey me without question, and I hate it when she disobeys and irritates you, Thutmose. So, as I said, do whatever you must. Just make sure that you get results because otherwise, this is a waste of my time.”

“Of course, Mother. I will ensure results; I rarely do anything without results.”

Cloth rustled as my mother rose, and I heard Thutmose moving towards the door. I got out of sight and stayed hidden until Thutmose was gone. Once he was, I continued on my way to find Sitamun. Perhaps together, we could help Nefertiti in some way, but I doubted it. My sister rarely crossed Thutmose, even though she often disagreed with him, and my other sisters are much like her. They either agreed with him or they kept quiet about it. I was the only one who was not smart enough to keep quiet when I disagreed. Yet, somehow, despite how foolish it was, I continued to cross him.