Chapter 25: Amenhotep

My father lay in the bed, current black eyes staring at me. “You told her about you and Nefertiti, then?” He mumbled, teeth clacking, eyes glazing with pain.

I nodded. “I told her. And I also told her to leave us alone.” I raised my hands in defense. “She was picking on Nefertiti…”

My father nodded. “I understand.” He grimaced as his teeth pained him again. “I do not rebuke you for it. That is the sign of a good ruler – a good ruler knows when to stand up for something and when to let it go.” He pats the chair beside his bed, turning his head to face me as he rests it on the wooden headrest. “I never paid much attention to you, son… I had too many other things to do, and grooming Thutmose for the rule took a lot of time. I didn’t expect him to die before I did…” He sighed.

I nodded, encouraging him to go on.

“No parent ever expects that their child will die before they pass on, I suppose… What I am trying to say is this: you are going to be ruling now that I am too weak to do so and your mother cannot because you are of ruling age. You must mind our people well, son. Do not let the things I have worked hard for go to ruin. Do not waste the chances you have…” He coughs. “I cannot give you much help in your task of becoming Pharoah; I am old, and will soon pass. The doctors do not give me much longer in this place.” Another spasming cough. “Look to your mother for guidance… Though she may despise you, she loves Egypt, and she will guide you true. And trust your wife if you do not already. She is wiser than some realize, and she will be a good Great Wife.”

“I understand, Father.” I smiled, patting his hand. “You are tired… You should rest.”

He nodded. “Very well… Care for your mother and remaining sister once I am gone. Understand?” He sighed, the sound rattling and wheezing about in his chest as he lay in the dark room.

I tried to smile, not liking to think that he would be gone soon just as Thutmose and five of my six sisters were gone. “You shall get better, Father. Do not fret.” I soothed.

He shook his head, smiling softly. “I will not recover. The infection has spread through my body, and the doctors say I have weeks left. A month or two at most.” He wheezed. “I have been ill for many years, though it was not at first readily apparent… It will soon be my time, and I shall rejoice when it comes.”

I gave him a pained smile, and bow in respect, retreating. “I shall go now, with your leave, Father.”

He waved a weak hand. “Go on, then…” He mumbled.

I fled, bile rising in my throat.

The sound of keening from the professional mourners followed me through the white-washed halls to the room I now shared with Nefertiti – my wife.

She welcomed me into her arms as I ran into the room. “Amenhotep, love… Calm down…” She stroked my tear-stained face. “What is the matter, dearest?”

I shook my head, sinking onto our bed and burying my face in my hands. “Why do the gods allow this? Why did they take five of my sisters and my brother? Why are they claiming my father’s life as well?”

She sat beside me. “I do not know, Amenhotep… But I too have considered this…” She hesitated. “And my conclusions, while startling, seem rational enough.”

I stared at her. “What conclusions?”

“The gods… All save for the Aten… We cannot see them. We see no real manifestation of their presence. They do not heed our prayers, and they do not save those we love, even when it would seem to be in their favor to do so… The Aten alone shines down upon us and blesses us with crops, dawning each day and bringing her light to us. So… I have concluded that the other gods and goddesses… do not exist.” She confided, eyes sad. “We have spent our lives worshipping and believing a lie.” She whispered.