Chapter 8: Amenhotep

I began to plan a way to visit Nefertiti because I was worried that after a week or so of Thutmose’s persuasive sweet-talking and confinement combined, she might be considering giving up. I knew what giving up meant for her, and I could not bear for her to compromise who she was for my brother. I never wanted to see her independent, stubborn disposition change; I liked her that way.

Finally, I decided the best way to take care of the problem the guards presented was to bribe them. I waited for midnight to come, and then I checked to be sure Thutmose was sleeping. He was, so I crept back to my room and placed a large sum of coin in my purse. With any luck, it would be enough to satisfy and pay off the guards. I prayed a swift, silent prayer to Wosret, goddess of protection, and asked that she protect me from danger tonight.

When I reached the storeroom where Nefertiti was held, the guards were sleeping. They woke with a start when they heard my footsteps echoing through the halls. I had known there was no way to get around waking them, or I might have attempted to drug them and sneak past them.

“Hello, Ankhtifi… Artaxerxes…. I trust you are both well?” I knew these guards, and I knew that both would accept the bribe, but I was uncertain if  Ankhtififi would keep his mouth shut. If he did, the price would be high. Artaxerxes, on the other hand, would keep quiet even without the money because he was one of my best friends.

“We are, my Prince, as you can see.” Artaxerxes murmured.

He was a thin, lean man with a hard, compact body. He was also a Persian. Once he had been a slave – a gift to my father – but he had been loyal and served well, so my father had given him his freedom and made him part of the palace guard. He served Thutmose, but I knew he liked me and my sisters too and would occasionally go behind Thutmose’s back to help us.

He bowed his head, which was not shaved like the majority of other mens’ was. Beside him, Ankhtifi bowed as well.

Ankhtifi was Egyptian, unlike Artaxerxes, and he was the one I was more worried about. True, he would accept the bribe money – nearly everyone in our culture would accept it because no one would pass up free money – but he might not keep his word and remain quiet about my visit.

“I would like to visit Nefertiti, please.” I told them, keeping my voice firm and polite.

I wanted to appear somewhat superior and commanding, but I did not want them to feel bullied. If they got the wrong impression, it was all over for me. Thutmose would find out, and I would not get another opportunity to see Nefertiti.

“My Prince, we are not allowed to do that. It is under Crown Prince Thutmose’s orders; I am sorry.” Artaxerxes's voice was soft and gentle. He knew that I was going through a great deal of heartache because of this whole ordeal.

I nodded. “I know. I knew that when I decided to come. Look, I will pay you both to keep silent. If you agree not to tell Thutmose of this visit, I will give you each five gold coins.”

It was a fortune to pay for such a small bribe, especially since gold was harder to get than silver here since it came at a higher price from the nations around us. However, I would pay whatever it took to see Nefertiti.

Artaxerxes and Ankhtifi exchanged glances, and then Ankhtifi said, “We will accept your payment, Prince Amenhotep. You may go in and see her.”

He took a key from his belt, and once I had paid them both, he unlocked the wooden door and let me in.

Nefertiti was lying on the bed asleep. She looked haggard and worn, but she was still beautiful to me. She seemed ill at ease, and she tossed on her straw pallet.