Chapter 37: Nefertiti

It was a month after Kiya’s wedding, and I found myself in the awkward position of informing my husband that both Kiya and I were pregnant.

Kiya had come to me, nervous and uncertain about how to handle the situation. I was understanding of her dilemma, of course, but was less pleased when she begged me to tell Amenhotep for her.

It was made slightly less awkward because I too was expecting again, but I still disliked the task. I had agreed though, knowing that Kiya was still uncomfortable being around or even speaking with Amenhotep.

And so it was that I started my evening by telling Amenhotep. “Love… I have something to tell you…” I began, leaning over to kiss him.

He raised an eyebrow. “And what do you want to tell me?”

“Well… It has to do with both Kiya and I…”

He noted my hesitation with a concerned frown as he poured water into a glazed clay cup.

“Kiya was uncomfortable with telling you herself… So I offered to tell you.” I circumvented, scrambling for a way to drop the news.

“What is it?” It appertains to both of you? Are you unwell? Is she bothering you or you two are not getting along?” He threw the questions at me, pacing the length of his white-washed chambers.

I avoided his gaze, staring at the brightly painted pictures of the Aten – he no longer had paintings of the other gods and goddesses in his room, a thing that never ceased to irritate his mother – as I blurted the news out. “We are both pregnant.”

He stared at me, a happy glow spreading through his eyes. “You are pregnant again?”

I nodded, smiling.

He pulled me into a tight hug, kissing me. “So soon after Meritaten was born too… This is joyous news, love.”

“Now, do not forget Kiya, dearest…” I murmured.

He shrugged, looking away. “I am happy about her pregnancy as well, but our marriage is one of a political nature. Of course, I shall cherish both of your children equally, but it is you I first think of in any matter, Nefertiti. Not her.”

I nodded. “Either way, I wonder if it will be a boy this time?”

He stared at me with a thoughtful smile. “I do not know… But…” He laid his hands on my belly, which was not showing yet, obviously. “I will love both you and the baby no matter what.”

I smiled, pressing my lips to his again and pulling him up off the chair. “I am fatigued… Might we retire?” I pleaded.

He nodded, his elated smile still hovering on his lips. He flipped me up into his arms, carrying me over to his bed.

He settled me down carefully on the bed, and I curled into his warm embrace when he climbed in. Sleep took me moments later.

***

Kiya and I took to walking through the gardens each morning as the nurses informed us that walking was good for us and would make the birthing and pregnancy easier.

Kiya smiled at me as she saw me in the hall. “Nefertiti!”

“Kiya.” I smiled back, happy to see her.

“I have been having the most dreadful sicknesses in the mornings. The midwife informs me that it is normal…” She bit her lip. “I remain unconvinced, of course… How was it for you with Meritaten?”

I shrugged. “I had it fair. I enjoyed the pregnancy, actually. I had near no morning sickness, and the birth – though exhausting – was far better than many I have heard of.”

She nodded with a sigh. “I had so hoped for an easy pregnancy. But, truly, I do not believe I am going to get it if the sickness is any indicator at all.”

I shrugged. “It is not really an indicator of how the latter stages of your pregnancy will go. So perhaps it will still go easy with you.”

She smiled again, her good mood restored.

That was the thing with Kiya. She was always happy. Even when she had little reason to be joyous, she found a reason to be grateful or happy anyway. Even when she was forced to come to a foreign land to marry its ruler against her will, she held onto that spark of peace and happiness.

I admired that about her. Especially since I never had that sort of unending good will.

***

“Amenhotep…” I began, staring at him as he paced our quarters.

He mumbled something to himself, and I stood up, irritated beyond belief that he was ignoring me and would not calm down. I hated to see him like this. It was always like this after he had a long day at court, but it still made me feel ignored and harried when he behaved this way.

And it wasn’t just because of how he ignored me either.

I disliked it because I knew how it made him feel. How stressed he was. How annoyed he was. And how worried he was.

“Amenhotep!” I marched up to him, standing in his way and glaring at him.

He yelped, winding to a stop just before he ran into me. “Wh…what?” He saw my glare and knew he had done something.

“Stop pacing and start paying attention, please. Now…” I took a deep breath. “Calm down and explain to me what the perplexity is here.”

He sighed, running his hands over the wig he now wore – his mother made him shave his hair when he became Pharaoh so that he could wear the traditional double-crown of Egypt or the more casual headdress and circlet he sometimes wore.

I disliked that he had agreed to her wishes, though. I liked his wavy, shoulder length hair. It was so silky and beautiful. But gone it was, and gone it would stay.

“I… It is just that the Hittites are rousing up trouble with the Mittanians. Both of them are supposed to be our allies and vassals, but the Hittites are becoming increasingly bold in their forays.” He blurted out, annoyance shining in his dark eyes.

I stroked his cheek, sighing. “Well, what do you want to do about it?” I murmured.

He glared at the wall intensely. “The same exact question I have been hearing from concerned councilors for days! I have no idea. I do not want a war. Not right now. But the Mittanians are pleading with us for our aid.”

“Will you aid them?” I asked, worried now and understanding his distress.

He shook his head again. “I do not think it would be wise. I think it would be best to let them fight it out or figure it out – whichever way it goes. Allies or no, I do not think now is the time to get Egypt involved. There is too much unrest among the priests and the people as it is due to the changes we are making.”

I nodded, smiling softly. “You will make the right decision, Amenhotep… I know you will. You are stronger and wiser than you know.”

He smiled tightly at me, the smile not reaching his eyes as it usually did. “I hope so, love… Truly I pray it will be so. Because hard times may yet come, and I will need all my strength and any wisdom I can get if – no when – they do.”