Chapter 32: Amenhotep

Nefertiti was sleeping on our bed when I entered our chambers.

I walked to her, stroking her cheek gently with my long fingers and bending over to press fluttering, brief kisses against her lips and jawline. She shivered, opening her eyes to look up at me.

A smile graced her lips. “What did your mother want?”

I frowned. “I do not wish to discuss what my mother wanted.” I brightened, smiling. “I want to spend some time here with you.”

She scooted over on the broad wooden bed, making room for me.

I slipped onto the bed beside her, caressing her bare shoulder where the shift she was wearing had slipped and then moved on to kissing her softly, lulling her back into a soft, almost entranced state.

She pulled away, lips slightly pink, cheeks flushed with color. “Really, though… What did your mother want to discuss?”

I sighed, knowing I would have to discuss it at some point. “My mother wanted to discuss another marriage for me…”

Nefertiti stared at me, understanding lighting her eyes. “Who?”

I detected the sadness in her eyes as she realized what that would mean for her. I cupped her chin in my hand, pressing my lips to hers in a harder kiss this time. “Listen… I am not ever going to abandon you, and I will not replace you as Great Wife. Understand? You mean everything to me, Nefertiti…”

She nodded. “So who is it?”

“Kiya, Princess of Mitania.” I murmured against her skin as I pressed a kiss to her neck.

“Is it important for maintaining a good relationship between Mitania and Egypt?” She whispered, almost too quiet for me to detect that she had spoken.

I paused, uncertain. “It is… But it is not more important than you are, my love.”

She shook her head. “Would you… Would they expect her to bear your child?” She asked, eyes swimming with tears.

I nodded again, hestitantly this time. “But I will not…”

She cut me off. “You have to… Amenhotep, you know this is important for Egypt. Your father had many such marriages… They will be satisfied once she has a child. She is no competition to me, right?” She seemed to need assurance; her statement was not as confident as I wished it was.

I shook my head. “No one can possibly compete with you, Nefertiti. I do not love her. I love you.” I whispered in her ear, kissing the rim of her ear softly as I said it.

She shivered. “Then marry her… It will make our alliances with Mitania better… It is worth it for our kingdom. To keep Egypt strong. And we may need allies when we change things as we plan to, love. You know it will not be easy. Some will object… If we end up thrown into a civil war, we must have strong outside allies to help us.”

I nodded. “I understand.” I sighed. “I do not want to wed her though… I will do it only because I know you are right about the importance of such a union…” I stopped, breathing in her flowery scent. “But she will never take your place, Nefertiti… Never fear that.”

She sighed too, but it was contentment I heard in her sigh, not sorrow.

I smiled, pressing another kiss to her lips. “Where is Meritaten?” I murmured.

“Sleeping.” She murmured back.

“Good.” I pulled her into my arms. “That should leave us with some alone time. Finally.”

***

When I woke up, she was nestled up against me, her face pressed against my collarbone as she slept. I smiled down at her, but most of my joy faded as I remembered that I was going to marry Kiya, daughter of King Tushrutta of Mitania.

I loathed the idea. I didn’t want any other woman as wife. I had Nefertiti. That was all I needed. She was all I needed. She and our lovely daughter, Meritaten.

I knew my mother was plotting something with this new suggestion, but I couldn’t figure out what it was. I wracked my brain trying to figure it out, but nothing came to mind. What sorts of games was she playing with me now?

Nefertiti stirred against me, sighing and opening her eyes. “Good morning.”

I glanced out the window. She was right. It was morning. We had slept through dinner and into the late hours of the morning. It must be about ten in the morning now.

I would be late for duties and have no breakfast if I stayed. But somehow, I didn’t care. I wanted only to spend more time with my wife. Even three years of marriage could not sate my desire to be near her, hold her, and love her.

She nestled closer against me as I put my arms back around her and closed my eyes.

“Will you be late for your duties?” She asked, voice soft.

I nodded. “I would rather stay here with you, my love. I will pay whatever price is necessary for my tardiness. It will be well worth it.”

She smiled, seeming to relish the fact that she had me to herself.

“Are you sure you are not upset or wounded by the idea of me wedding Kiya?” I murmured in her ear.

She nodded. “You must do what is best for the kingdom. I will not lose you to her, I am certain… I have naught to fear.”

I rubbed her back in small circles with my left hand. “That is right. You have naught to fear, my beautiful one.”

She laughed. “We must prepare the wedding and a place for Kiya in the women’s quarters then. When will she come?”

I stared at her, astonished at her light-heartedness. “I… I have not determined that yet… But why are you so accommodating of this?”

“Because…” She blushed. “It is just… If I do not bear you an heir…” The pain in her eyes was incredible as she considered this thought. “If I never bear an heir, you still will need a boy to carry on your line… Perhaps Kiya can give you that if I do not – cannot…”

I kissed her. “Perhaps. But I will love you no less for it.” I cautioned. “Do not think that if you prove unable to bear a son I will discard you or hate you, my love… I would never do that.” I stroked her hair, smiling and assuring her that her doubts were misplaced.

She gave a smile that lit her eyes with such adoration and love that I felt myself melting all over just because she had graced me with that smile. “Thank you… But truly… You should go now.”

I nodded, sighing. “I suppose so. But I will be back.” I smiled at her.

She grinned. “I will await your return.”

I laughed, shaking my head at her antics, and then turned, walking out the door on the way to my duties. Oh, how I loathed duties for keeping me from my beloved wife and daughter for so many hours out of the day. Tiresome tasks.