Chapter 42: Amenhotep

I kissed her temple gently, savoring the few moments we had before we had to wake up and start the day.

She moaned softly, rolling over to snuggle against me, pulling her blanket higher up on her shoulders. "Stop it..." She griped.

I laughed quietly. "Why?" I kissed her forehead, working my way to the tip of her nose then to her lips.

She smiled into my kiss. "Because you are waking me up." She answered in a matter of fact tone.

I grinned, pulling away. "I am, am I?"

She nodded, not opening her eyes. A yawn broke loose from her lips, and it caused me to yawn too. She was right. It was too early to wake up. Sleep sounded like a much better alternative to things. All the matters of state could wait, couldn't they? Family was more important than matters of state for me. It always was and always would be.

Nefertiti pressed her face against my bare chest, her breath warm on my skin.

I wrapped my arms around her, closing my eyes and sliding farther down into the covers. This was a much better way to spend my morning. Who wanted to listen to all those priests complaining about the lack of funding to their temples? If someone did, I didn't know them.

I fell asleep again only to be awakened again when a servant burst in. "Sire!" He gasped.

I woke with a start, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "What do you want?" I snapped at the servant, annoyed that I was being woken so abruptly.

My patience had been wearing thinner and thinner, my ability to control my ire growing weaker each day. I could not deny that ruling was taking its toll. I was not raised for this, and ruling did not suit me. It wore me out and took the fun out of me.

The only times when I regained some semblance of control and patience were when I was spending time with my family. Those times always rejuvenated me, making me feel fresh and happier once more.

"My apologies, Sire, but you are late for petitions and for the meeting with the Vizier. Your mother asked me to come and wake you... But if you... if you need more rest... I shall... shall just come back later... And in...inform the people and Vizier th...that you... you are not... not seeing the...them until l...later...." The servant stammered, backing out of the doorway as he saw the irritation in my face.

I smiled weakly, trying to set him at ease. "My apologies for yelling at you like that... I did not mean to be ungrateful or unkind. My exhaustion is getting the better of me. Yes... Yes, please inform the Vizier and the people that I will not see them until after I have dined for lunch." I answered.

The servant gave a deep bow and turned, fleeing in haste to escape me.

I heard a muffled laugh from the covers beside me.

Nefertiti was awake, peering up at me from the covers, laughing. She seemed to have found the exchange amusing. What she saw in the scene I didn't see, but I wasn't about to ask. She quieted herself shortly, pulling me back down into her arms.

I wrapped my arms back around her, sighing and relaxing once more. "Well... I have the rest of the morning to rest, love... I suppose you are refreshed enough not to need it? Kiya was looking for you earlier yesterday afternoon. Do you not have a walk with her?"

She nodded, sighing. "This baby is taking a lot out of me, my love... I need to rest. And yes, I know that I slept through the afternoon and night yesterday, but I do not object to spending a bit more time with you before I get up."

I smiled at her. "Would you be disposed towards taking a short stroll through the gardens or boating on the lake my father built for my mother?"

She shook her head. "I would love to go out on the lake, if you would not mind terribly."