Chapter 10: Nefertiti

I could hardly believe that Thutmose had allowed me to return to my own rooms. Besides that, how was I to process what he had told me that morning? It was all too much, and it did not ring true. How could I believe him when I had learned to distrust from the beginning of my life here? I could not trust him; that was the truth of it. It seemed to me that he was lying to me somehow, telling me something that was not true to make me capitulate to his wishes quicker.

My mind was in utter turmoil as I sat on my hard wooden bed, considering everything he had told me and everything I already believed to be true. Could it be possible that my anger and hatred of him had hidden the change that had been occurring in him as he visited me in my captivity? Or was I simply reading into it too much? I had no idea what to make of it, and I laid back, resting my head on my wooden headrest, still wishing I knew what to do. I was sorely tempted to climb out of the window and run far away, never to return, but I knew I would be caught before I made it into the city. Besides, I would never reach the city outskirts even should I escape the palace and the guards. It was a fantasy that would land me back in the little four-walled room I had been in with its white walls and quiet monotony - something I desperately wanted to avoid returning to. Sighing, I turned over and tried to take a nap.