Chapter 41: Kiya

I thought for a long while before I gave my answer to Tiye.

I couldn’t be a part of her quest to kill her son. I couldn’t.

Not when I had grown to love him as I had. I wouldn’t be able to do it.

When I told her no, she took the news with stoic calm, which surprised me. She said little, but dismissed me, telling me to take care of myself and the babe within me. She wanted the heir to be healthy.

Of course, no one knew that I was going to have a son. How could they? We had no way of testing that. We could only wait and hope.

Since I had rebuffed Tiye’s request, she had been cordial, but distant. She generally avoided me, making little attempt to connect or speak with me. When we did speak, she was polite but aloof. I got the keen sense that she never particularly liked me, but was instead hoping to use me as a means to an end.

There was little I could do about it though.

I was considering informing Amenhotep about the plot, but I didn’t think it was much to worry about, honestly. Tiye wouldn’t make a move until an heir was born. Amenhotep was safe enough until that happened.

And anyway, I doubted Tiye had the help she needed to complete the task. Why else would the woman come to me – his wife – for help if she was not in need of serious help?

She was of little threat to us. That I was certain of.

So I determined to say nothing of our conversation to Amenhotep or anyone else.

***

I had been out of bed and about for only an hour or two before a servant came and informed me that a messenger was waiting to see me.

Curious, I instructed the servant to bring the man into my chambers.

The messenger gave me a respectful bow, standing just within the door, glancing at the servant. “My lady, could you ask the servant to please remove themselves from the room? The information I bring is confidential.”

Reluctant to dismiss the servant with the messenger in the room, I sighed. “Is that necessary?”

He nodded.

Muttering under my breath about confidentiality and messengers, I waved the servant out. “You are dismissed.”

The servant bowed and left, leaving me alone with the messenger.

The man had a shaved head with no wig. He wore the typical garb of the working class: nothing but a shendyt – a sort of wrap around skirt – and some rush sandals. The shendyt and sandals were not of fine make. The linen of the shendyt was, in fact, of rather poor quality.

He wore the usual dark lining of kohl around his eyes to protect his vision from the oppressive heat of the Egyptian climate. Otherwise, he was rather plain, the only other distinctive feature around him being his slender, well-manicured hands that almost made me think of a woman’s.

“Well… What message do you bring me, messenger?” I inquired when he gave no signs of speaking.

“Ah. Yes… The message. My employer requested that I ask you for your aid in his troubles.”

“His troubles? Why would I want to aid him? Aid him with what?” I stared at him, pensive.

“He wished you to know that he is a firm patriot and a good man. So this request is for the sake of all of Egypt…” The man began in postulating terms.

I glared at him. “What is the request?” I snapped.

He sighed. “So impatient. Well, he wants you to help him with a plot to undermine the Pharaoh. He says that if your husband continues on his current streak, he will destroy all of Egypt and bring us down into the roles of lowly slaves. He wants you to help. For the moment, all that needs to happen is the birth of an heir – preferably yours. But, if Nefertiti bears the heir, that will be fine too. Once the heir is born – should you agree to help him – you will be set up as regent of Egypt until the boy child is old enough to rule. This would happen – of course – once the Pharaoh and his Great Wife have been rid of. Not necessarily killed, mind you, but gotten out of the way.”

I listened impatiently to the man, and then burst out, “What is it with people and their plots against my husband? Why does everyone insist on coming to me and attempting to get me involved?” I snapped.

He stared at me, amazed. “Another has approached you asking for aid in this manner?”

I nodded absently. “Tiye…” Then I clapped my hands over my mouth, realizing what I had said.

The messenger sighed. “Do not worry, my lady. Your secret shall be kept safe. Will you aid us?”

I turned away, uncertain. Perhaps I should aid them in order to get information. They would not do anything until a son is born to my husband, so I have time. Perhaps I could figure out who is in on it and expose them.

But that would be a risky venture, and I was not certain if I could be it off. Nevertheless…

I turned back to him. “How long do I have to decide?”

“I am to carry the response you give back to my master whether yea or nay, lady. I cannot take another reply. It must be one way or the other.”

I nodded. I had suspected as much. “Very well…” I deliberated a moment longer before answering slowly. “I shall aid you… But, I demand that I know who I am working with. I will not help if I am not let into the very circle of men who plot this thing. That means I must know even the highest of those working on this plot. Else wise, you will have to look elsewhere for your aid. Am I understood?”

The messenger bowed to me, smiling. “Perfectly, my lady. I shall take the response back to my master and see what he says. I will return with his response on the morrow.”

I nodded again. “That is agreeable. You are dismissed then.”

The messenger withdrew, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

What had I done? I just agreed to join and aid a plot to dethrone my husband. True, I was in it only so that I could save Amenhotep, but did that really justify my actions? Did I make a mistake?

I prayed to all the gods I knew that I had not.

Because if I had, only trouble could lay ahead.  

***

Tiye swept into my chambers the afternoon after the messenger came with his master’s response.

I was – to all intents and purposes – now embroiled in this plot and could not remove myself from it until it was time to tell Amenhotep.

“Kiya… I have heard about the messenger and I know his message.”

I stood up, shocked. “You… You do?”

She nodded. “Why would you not join me when you would join an anonymous plotter?” She pursed her lips, staring at me.

I looked away. “I thought that my bridges with you were burnt, Tiye. I realized I had made a mistake in declining your offer. And when this messenger came, I saw the chance to solve the mistake I made. I took it.” I smiled bitterly, trying to pull off my act.

Tiye smiled back. “I see. Well, the messenger also came to speak with me. And asked me to join them as well. You will be happy to know that the two of us will be working together.”

I stared at her. “You joined?” I tried to sound happy, but I was failing.

“You do not sound pleased.” TIye noted.

I shrugged, attempting to appear nonchalant. “I am not displeased. Just surprised. I did not realize that they had approached you as well. That is a good thing, however, as it means my lot will be easier now.”

In reality, my lot would be much harder because now I would have Tiye watching my every move each day. She lived in the palace too, and near me as well. The new development would make my pretence very difficult to maintain. Very difficult indeed.

I prayed I could pull it off.

Because if I didn’t, I was going to be in danger. Perhaps in danger of my life.

Not a thought I relished.