The Curtained Truth

"Nara," A hand on my shoulder pulled me away from my thoughts

"Nara," A hand on my shoulder pulled me away from my thoughts. I turned to him.

The sudden urge to ask clawed me. "Why did you do it, Ryder? Was I not enough? Was I so blinded with my love for you that I thought I was enough?" No. I wouldn't cry.

His brows furrowed. "I did not cheat on you, Nara. I loved you. I love you." With that said, he took my hand and guided me to the bed. "Baby, sit down, and I'll tell you everything." His voice became rougher.

I sat, and he kneeled in front of me, with his forearms on either side of my thighs. His pale blue eyes held mine captive.

"Two years after our marriage, I was planning on leaving the force to take over dad's company, but before that, we had to take down a drug lord. I couldn't let you live through that dangerous path, I couldn't have you looking over your shoulder every time because someone wanted to retaliate. We took him fast and easy, like a snap of a finger, we thought we'd done it, but it seemed that he was also trafficking under aged girls. I thought to bail, but my superior wouldn't let me go until the case was done." He took my hands and gently kissed each of them.

"Months, we observed the club," Oh God, I couldn't hear this. Is this the part where he tells me he fell in love with the stripper?

He frowned, "Baby, what's going on in that head of yours?" His hands slid to my waist.

It hurt to meet his eyes. "I can't hear this, Ryder. I cannot hear you say that you were in a strip club having a good time, or-or observing like you were calling it, while I was in this house worrying about your safety." My voice quivered. I quickly dashed away the tear that fell. Damn teary eye!

"What good time?" In a flash, he was up and had pulled me with him.

He went to sit in the middle of the bed, legs stretched, back rested on the headboard. Still holding my hand, he tugged me to do the same. Or so I thought, but he made me straddle his lap. I pushed him, but it was like pushing a huge ass boulder.

"Stay like that, baby." Ryder placed my now fisted hands on his bare chest. "I never even went inside that club, baby. I observed in a car parked not far from it. Let's just say, I was the look out—"

My hands, that I was not aware were already palming his chest turned to fists again. "What about when I saw you and that woman." Grinding and feeding her tits to you, I wanted to add, but decided not to.

"Getting there, babe." He took a deep breath and looked at the ceiling, eyes going distant. "We busted the club, arrested people and turned the girls over to a home where they could be cared. Case closed, and I left the force. Not long after that, while you were out with mom, I received a mail addressed to you. I got suspicious because it was from California, and from what I know, you didn't know anyone from Cali. I opened it, and there was a picture of a Terry Langdon with a busted face, tied to a chair."

Oh my God, Terry was my college friend. So, that's why he was in a comma for several days and suffered a short-term amnesia. Why would they do that to him? Why him?

I couldn't see any connection as to why they would abduct Terry and make him suffer other than he was my classmate.

"The letter said, 'a look your husband will get for meddling. I know where to find you'. I knew right then that it was not yet over, they knew you so I had to take them down. I went back and told the team about the letter. Though I couldn't be considered as one of them anymore, I insisted that I execute the operation with them, for the sake of keeping you safe and making sure of it." His eyes, even when they were not focused on me I still drowned in them, so hauntingly beautiful, yet deadly at the same time.

"We planned, we observed, we went undercover for almost a year, we didn't know they were doing the same. And when we went in—that was when you said you saw me—four of us went to meet the owner of the club, not knowing that our men surrounding the area were already dead. They made us sit down, and that's when the strippers showed, the one on me tried jam a needle in my neck but I was fast enough to dodge and push her away, my other two colleagues were not so lucky. Me and Johnson were the only ones left of our team after the operation."

I gripped his shoulders and he looked at me. Two sides of me were battling whether to believe the things he had said or not.

The louder side told me to believe in him because I never really stayed to witness what had truly happened.

Who would stay, when they saw the love of their life seated on a leather couch with a blond barbie grinding on their lap, much less watch what would happen next?

But then, I would present him my duct taped heart once again if I chose to believe. There was a high possibility that he would break it again, and I wouldn't be able to fix it back when that happened.